New Hampton Insert Installed-Tips Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cocey2002

Dec 28, 2007
Central PA
Finally got it installed today. I want to thank all the Hampton owners that offered advice for the last 8 months. I would appreciate any tips on how to get max potential. I am really surpised on the lack of noise even in high mode this thing produces. The fan doesn't seem too powerful. My old stove has a fan on in high mode you can't even hear the TV. Thanks again

Attachments

• 100_0272.jpg
    100_0272.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 474
cocey2002 said:
...I would appreciate any tips on how to get max potential.

Is he at all related to Max Headroom? Sorry! If you couldn't hear your TV before, you'll have no idea to whom I referring. No answers for you, except burn the driest (most seasoned) wood you can, and if you have access to good hardwood, choose that. Low, smoldering fires are bad (creosote formation in the stovepipe/chimney). But, I imagine you already know all this. You'll get to know your new setup as you begin to burn in it. It's really pretty, enjoy! Rick

Beautiful. All set for a warm house this winter.

Get it hot, load it up, and choke it down. The temp will climb! When using seasoned wood put the thermometer (you would have asked anyway ;~) ) on the top "shelf." If I remember right running it so that the temps there hit 225-350 is the sweet spot. The heat (snap disc) that controls the auto on/off will probably need to be bent out slightly to properly contact. You will need to pull the blower out to get to it. More will come to me but off the top of my head those are the things I encountered and others after me. BTW nice setup! Mine is very similiar with a 6 1/2 foot oak mantle instead of the stone. Get your wood now and enjoy the WARM house this winter!!!

You asked for some tips!
Tips
1. Don't pee into the wind youll get it all over your shoes.
2. As much as you would like to. Dont fire it up till winter
3. Save your wood
4. Nice work now sit down fire up the stove and wipe the pee off your shoe :lol:

Ha youll have many good years with that stove and with in a week or so youll start to learn the temps and how to control it.
Besafe

That's a sharp looking installation cocey. I'll bet you're just itching for a cool night now.

Best tip I can give you is only burn dry, seasoned wood and get your wood shed stocked up right now.

One more thing, burn a few small fires in fall with the windows open, it will stink when it cures, around the 4th fire let er rip! The smell will be gone and ready to heat!!!

beautiful stove those are beautiful ... if my house was smaller best believe i would have one and prolly never pay attention to the wife

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have been stockpiling wood for the last year in preperation. I can't wait to use it. The wife likes it but the first comment out of her mouth is " its very shiny".

Well thats better than "cute little thing isn't it!"

I think the Hampton inserts are about the nicest looking stoves I have seen, and the quality looks like it's also the best. And then the price also reflects this as well. I hope they burn as clean as they look.

Its like anything else, pretty girls cost money!!! :p

Congrats Cocey!!! I just saw your post, been outta town for a few days. Great idea above on burning a few fires when it starts to cool down just a little (when you can still open up the house), that way you can air out the stink. It wasn't too bad after the first, it gets less and less stinky with the next few, then you're ready to roll!

I've found the best way for me to start a fire (haven't tried top-down yet) is to put 2 medium splits North-South with enough room inbetween to put a couple pieces of newspaper, kindling, then a few more splits East-West to make kind of a tic-tac-toe setup. You'll figure out your own style tho. With my chimney setup I keep the door cracked for the first few minutes (supervised off course) to get it fired up good, then close the door with the air open all the way for 10 minutes or so, then you can close it down. If you are reloading and have a coal bed, it's a great way to get the new wood fired up also.

Be careful adjusting the door handle spacers. Mine got too tight and I snapped the handle off!!

Keep ash away from the bottom of the door, that's where the primary air comes in.

Enjoy! I love the stone hearth.

Thanks PDC. How often do you guys remove the ash? Also, Do you burn most fires with the air open all the way, little, or closed. I would assume closed when you go to bed or for other long others. How about normal use?

In general I take out some ash every other morning and rake the hot coals to one side to do it. When I am done I put the coals in the middle and load it up. Open the air control all the way untill the fire gets going well. THis is where it is important to have seasoned wood. Next cut it back to half, the firebox temp will climb. If it is still going well then cut it back between all and most of the way. The difference between the inside and outside temp affect the draft. The colder it is outside the more you can cut it back. When it is really cold (10 degrees or less) I cut it back all the way. When it is 40 degrees I leave it open about a third. Its a balancing act depending on how much heat you need. I know it sounds confusing but after the first season you will have it pretty down pat. With hardwood when I am home I refill it every 5-7 hours. Before bed I get a big coal bed going, load it, choke it down and go to bed at 10pm, there is still heat in the morning at 6.

I don't burn 24/7, but I sure burned more often than I thought we would! Burntime sounds like he's at it 24/7, and knows his stuff. One thing I just thought of that's helpful is that when reloading when already having a bed of hot coals, make a trench down the center N-S to give the air a path towards the back of the firebox, which helps out your secondary burn. I bet you can't wait for those first cool nights!

Yep, 24/7 guy here. Pulldownclaw is 100% correct!!! Forgot that one!

cocey2002 said:
appreciate any tips on how to get max potential.

Very nice, did you have a block off plate installed, this has made a difference for me and was a major PIA to install after the fact. Assuming you have done some searches for tips on forum, they are buried in threads but there. Agree on comment to get a few smaller burns in while the house has plenty of windows open.

One more thought, do NOT use hard water to clean the glass. In the morning when it is still warm use distilled water to wipe it off. Hard water will cloud the glass. I have a spot and I am going to try ceramic stovetop cleaner to see if it clears up.

churchie said:
cocey2002 said:
appreciate any tips on how to get max potential.

Very nice, did you have a block off plate installed, this has made a difference for me and was a major PIA to install after the fact. Assuming you have done some searches for tips on forum, they are buried in threads but there. Agree on comment to get a few smaller burns in while the house was plenty of windows open.

No on the blockoff plate. I couldn't get anyone in the area to even consider doing it. Most of the people that I talk to said it was unnecessary. I think thats crap but I wanted this particular stove. Most didn't want to deal either. I finally got a decent deal (the fan for free) after waiting 9 months. If the Hampton wasn't so pretty I would have went looking at other brands long ago.

burntime said:
One more thought, do NOT use hard water to clean the glass. In the morning when it is still warm use distilled water to wipe it off. Hard water will cloud the glass. I have a spot and I am going to try ceramic stovetop cleaner to see if it clears up.

Thanks, thats good to know!

burntime said:

I dip a damp rag into a little ash that settles in corner, use a little 'wax on wax off' action and its gone, in my second year of burning didn't have to do as much so assuming I was using drier wood and better technique. I'll try the distilled water idea thanks BT.

something that seemed to work ok end of burning season .. pulling coals to front putting a couple splits behind to create an even (horizontally speakin') base layer, then depending on how much heat I wanted to crank out I'd put the next couple layers as either North/South (freaking cold out) or East/West (cold out). Every day or two I'd scoop out ashes from front (get maybe two to three cups worth).

Status
Not open for further replies.