new handle for a sledge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan

Aug 10, 2012
Wilmington, NC
Split the handle on my TrueTemper 8lb'er two weekends ago and went to put a new handle on it and ran into a snag. The original handle had a thick plastic sleeve that covered handle 4" or so below the head and ran continuously up through the head and formed a cap on the other side holding the hammer head on. I haven't found a similar handle at the store and a standard replacement handle is so small that that there is probably 1/2" of clearance around the handle. I've emailed TrueTemper if it can be fixed/repaired and they did reply with some questions, but thought I'd ask here if anyone's had an success with this issue.

Just need to know if I am now the proud new owner of a 8lb paper weight.

The good news was it forced me to finally by a maul and I invested in a X27 and all I can say is I wished I made that purchase months ago. The X27 is great, but there are some large gnarly pieces I need my sledge and wedges for.

i have the same handle on my maul, and have been wondering the same thing. I really like it and was hoping it would be easy to replace if I ever needed to. Theoretically that handle should last a long time, but I don't take good care of this one and it sits out in the weather far too often.

Keep us posted.

From Ames TrueTemper customer service: "You need a handle that has the handle guard on it like our replacement handle 2036900.
Our products are generally carried by most hardware stores such as Ace Hardware, True Value Hardware, Do It Best, Home Depot, Lowes, and Wal*Mart. If you cannot find what you want locally, you can order direct by calling our customer service line at 1-800-393-1846.
Our office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm EST Monday through Friday. Thank you"

I replied "Are you saying the pick handle will work with the sledge. Your website does not seem to show any handles except that one that have the handle guard."

Customer service replied "Yes, it has the same dimensions."

I'll see if I can find one locally and report back

Kudos to you for attempting to re-handle the sledge in this throw-away world. Hope it works.

Reactions: ScotO
I have done this many times on mauls and sledges. (no not my inability to hit where i swing, i have a ten yr old who has been splittin with me for about 4 yrs. lol) I have bought replacement handles at lowes and put them on with no problems. I have never reused that plastic guard on the 8 pd sledge. I haven't needed to, my son stopped using teh sledge and uses the fiskars now.
i was able to remove it twords the butt of the handle after cutting off the handle right at the maul head. pryed it away with a large flathead screwdriver and then it came right off. i am betting that you could put the guard near the stove or somthin to make it warm a bit more pliable and slide it right back up the handle...

Part of the enjoyment for me of hand splitting wood is re-hanging the occasional maul. I learned to hang a spike maul (bell hammer, because of the sound it makes when striking iron) my first week of work on the railroad. It's the same for a splitting maul. First, saw the head from the broken handle, then punch (or burn if it is stubborn) out the stub. Save the steel wedge if there is one. The oval hole in the maul head will have a taper. Usually, the head will be stamped with it's #s next to the hole at the narrow end of the taper. The new handle will come with a wooden wedge and usually a new steel one. Insert the pole in the hole (Oh Baby!). If it's tight,(Oh Baby Baby!!) work it down with a rasp or grinder. Don't soak the handle! Dry rot is not "dry" rot but comes from trapped moisture. Seat the maul head by holding 'er upright and banging 'er down on something hard. Drive in the wood wedge. Saw off the overhang, leaving about an eighth of an inch proud. Drive in the steel wedge and seat jt just below flush with the top of the maul head. Peen that eighth inch over a bit to lock 'er in and you're good to go. Don't forget to trim the tail of the handle to suit your stature, and run your grinder around the grip area.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.