New Harman 52i and heat distribution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotboz

Oct 12, 2014
Southern Maryland
I've been a lurker for a little while here and I finally pulled the trigger on the 52i :) This gem throws out some incredible heat. My search for a stove started a few months back when realizing how much money we spent on propane over the last 12 months....$4400. I told my wife I would NEVER do that again. So here I am, trying to supplement as much as I can in our 3400 sq ft rambler.

The insert is in my sunroom/living room with vaulted ceilings. Using my IR thermometer the air appears to pocket in the ceiling apprx 5-10* hotter than the ambient temp in the majority of the living area. Most of the house is an open floor plan but unfortunately for airflow the bedrooms are a little more secluded and suffer because of it. With the 52i set on 75-80*, these rooms are nearly 62-65* in the late night/early morning.

This delta prompted me try a few things:

-First was running furnace fan only, which produced no positive results (likely because 2 of my 3 air returns are in colder areas).

-Second option was to add a duct in the ceiling of the sunroom with a fan sucking the air into the two kids rooms. I'm EXTREMELY happy to report that it works and might I add it works incredibly well. With the stove set on 75* the two kids rooms hover at 75* with the doors shut or 71-72* with the doors open. In addition to evenly heating the kids rooms, the rest of the living space is much more comfortable. No longer is there a "wall of heat" when walking into our living area.

I'll post pics below with a brief explanation of each under the picture.

IMG_1884.JPG
Materials prior to start. This was about $350-400 in materials. There were a few items not pictured I had to buy locally.

IMG_1912.JPG .
Location determined and punched nail through attic side so I could cut from this side. Unfortunately I couldn't center the duct 100% due to a structural support.

IMG_1918.JPG
8" flex duct and inlet mounted.

IMG_1923.JPG
Finished view of duct inlet. I need to pick up a filter for it but it looks great.

IMG_1925.JPG
6" flex duct to 8"x8" vent in bedroom 1. Bedroom 2 looks similar so I wont bother with a pic.

IMG_1937.JPG
Attic installation. The black duct is an existing return duct, the foil covered ones are new for this project.On this side of the fan there is the y-duct splitting to the two rooms.

IMG_1935.JPG
Ignore the two marks on the left. Slight mistake on measuring that I need to patch now. Wiring up the switch for the new outlet for the fan in the attic. I used a remodel box here (don't shoot me code police ;)....) to avoid cutting a huge hole in the wall. On the opposite side of this was is the bathroom light and fan switch. I pulled power from here and ran switched power directly up into the attic.

IMG_1936.JPG
New switched outlet in attic. If I ever get to phase II (my bedroom) of this effort this plug will be ready for me.

IMG_1926.JPG
My newly installed 52i cranking out some heat. The mantel is still loose and I'm still playing with the temp probe. Although the apprx location seems to be perfect right now.

IMG_1929.JPG
My winters stash of pellets. 1 ton of North American blend (meh at best, tons of ash), 1 ton of AWF hardwood, and 3 tons of AWF pine softwood (excited to try these!!!)

I'd like to give a shout out to the forums for helping me make my stove choice and sparking my love for pellet stoves. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Travis

Reactions: Peterfield
I've been a lurker for a little while here and I finally pulled the trigger on the 52i :) This gem throws out some incredible heat. My search for a stove started a few months back when realizing how much money we spent on propane over the last 12 months....$4400. I told my wife I would NEVER do that again. So here I am, trying to supplement as much as I can in our 3400 sq ft rambler.

The insert is in my sunroom/living room with vaulted ceilings. Using my IR thermometer the air appears to pocket in the ceiling apprx 5-10* hotter than the ambient temp in the majority of the living area. Most of the house is an open floor plan but unfortunately for airflow the bedrooms are a little more secluded and suffer because of it. With the 52i set on 75-80*, these rooms are nearly 62-65* in the late night/early morning.

This delta prompted me try a few things:

-First was running furnace fan only, which produced no positive results (likely because 2 of my 3 air returns are in colder areas).

-Second option was to add a duct in the ceiling of the sunroom with a fan sucking the air into the two kids rooms. I'm EXTREMELY happy to report that it works and might I add it works incredibly well. With the stove set on 75* the two kids rooms hover at 75* with the doors shut or 71-72* with the doors open. In addition to evenly heating the kids rooms, the rest of the living space is much more comfortable. No longer is there a "wall of heat" when walking into our living area.

I'll post pics below with a brief explanation of each under the picture.

View attachment 145888
Materials prior to start. This was about $350-400 in materials. There were a few items not pictured I had to buy locally.

View attachment 145889 .
Location determined and punched nail through attic side so I could cut from this side. Unfortunately I couldn't center the duct 100% due to a structural support.

View attachment 145892
8" flex duct and inlet mounted.

View attachment 145894
Finished view of duct inlet. I need to pick up a filter for it but it looks great.

View attachment 145895
6" flex duct to 8"x8" vent in bedroom 1. Bedroom 2 looks similar so I wont bother with a pic.

View attachment 145907
Attic installation. The black duct is an existing return duct, the foil covered ones are new for this project.On this side of the fan there is the y-duct splitting to the two rooms.

View attachment 145908
Ignore the two marks on the left. Slight mistake on measuring that I need to patch now. Wiring up the switch for the new outlet for the fan in the attic. I used a remodel box here (don't shoot me code police ;)....) to avoid cutting a huge hole in the wall. On the opposite side of this was is the bathroom light and fan switch. I pulled power from here and ran switched power directly up into the attic.

View attachment 145909
New switched outlet in attic. If I ever get to phase II (my bedroom) of this effort this plug will be ready for me.

View attachment 145911
My newly installed 52i cranking out some heat. The mantel is still loose and I'm still playing with the temp probe. Although the apprx location seems to be perfect right now.

View attachment 145912
My winters stash of pellets. 1 ton of North American blend (meh at best, tons of ash), 1 ton of AWF hardwood, and 3 tons of AWF pine softwood (excited to try these!!!)

I'd like to give a shout out to the forums for helping me make my stove choice and sparking my love for pellet stoves. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Travis
What kind of can are you using to pull the air upstairs. Your set up is slot like mine and would like to heAt bedrooms upstairs from my p35i

What kind of can are you using to pull the air upstairs. Your set up is slot like mine and would like to heAt bedrooms upstairs from my p35i

Its actually a 1 story rambler on a basement. This is on the main level and the basement unfinished. But this is the fan I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JQ4K1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I would think it would more than enough power to move the air anywhere you need. The total duct length in my situation is 25' of 8" to fan, y-duct, then 15' of 6" duct to each of the two rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.