New Harman Absolute 43 venting question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoSolar

Dec 4, 2015
Colorado
The house I just bought has an older Avalon Astoria in the living room that I am going to replace with a Harman Absolute 43.

The current vent goes through the wall about 23" from the floor and then "outside" it does a 90 and goes up through the roof. The "outside" is in sort of a metal chase (about 2'x3') on the outside of the house. With the Harman exhaust being about 8" off the floor I am looking at having to put a 90 out of the stove and then another 90 to go through the wall, with the existing 90 outside that puts me at 15' EVL which according to the Harman manual is the total vent length I can have at 7800' elevation. But the problem is there is another 12' or so of vertical venting that goes up through the roof. I can't go horizontal because the vent comes out in the middle of the porch. Will the extra 12' (6' EVL) make a big difference or can I just let slide?

Thanks

What size venting is existing? The exhaust outlet on the Astoria is 4".

Edit: Just pulled up the manual for the Absolute ... max 20 EVL for 3" with 4' maximum horizontal length.
http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/Absolute43_I.pdf page 16
The general rule of thumb is 15 EVL for 3" but manufacturer's manual takes precedence.

Just found the 15 EVL in reference to your location elevation...

Last edited:
You might want to contact your Harman dealer with the question. The max EVL for 4" is 30 w/o factoring in geographic elevation. The second chart really doesn't address vent size at altitude (3" vs 4").

There is a high altitude fan blade available from Harman. Might want to ask the question about that.

Edit: Is it possible that two 45 elbows can be used to hook up the exhaust to achieve the height required at the wall? Possible to adjust the thimble lower to reduce need for elbows inside?

Edit: Is it possible to elevate height of the hearth the stove is on?

Last edited:
I don't think I can use 45 elbows because that would push the stove too far into the room. Can't move the thimble without cutting a new hole in the wall, which I really don't want to do.

I had thought about raising the hearth and I could probably do that, I would just have to figure out a way to do it that looks good.

I think with the high alt. impeller and 4" it would be fine,but this is a new stove design,best to talk to a harman repair person.Also,pipe does not have to go to roof.This number-14062729850,is where i get parts,and they have an excellent service person,you could call them.They are a harman dealer.

Would check with the dealer about the high altitude exhaust fan blade ... may not need to do anything other than change the type of blade used.

Status
Not open for further replies.