New Harman Accentra Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum

Mar 11, 2008
Central Ohio
I'm new to this site and wood pellet's in general. I did quite a bit of research on wood pellet's and stoves (here and other places on the net) and last night I bought a new Harman Accentra. I based this decision largely on the knowledgable dealer, the warranty and to be honest, it was the one stove that my wife liked the looks of the best. ha. (I know, good reason to base the purchase of a stove on).

We've been heating our 2,400 sq ft house with just propane this year and with $3.25 propane, I figured it was time to diversify at least some. We are going to use the Accentra to supplement our propane as best as we can. I don't think it will heat the whole house, but that is not our intention.

I got a pretty good deal on the stove as the dealer sold me what they referred to as a "red dot" stove. Supposedly it has some cosmetic issues to it and the factory cut them a deal on it. I looked it over and the cosmetic issues are pretty minor and I like saving money!

I ended up buying a ton of pellets from the dealer. They were a tad pricey at $250 a ton (they are Country Boy White Lightning), but the dealer told me they are oak pellets and will burn hot and with low ash. If nothing more, it will give me a basis to judge other pellets against.

I have been searching through the pellet price reports (following the link in the sticky above) and following this forum concerning prices and availability. The only bad thing is that these can only be filtered by state. Is there any way to get prices in my area (Central Ohio/Columbus/Marysville area)? I plan on checking out Home Depot, TSC and a local country store that I think sells them.

I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and it handled the ton of pellets just fine, so delivery isn't an issue. But with $4 diesel, it makes sense to get them as close as possible. The stove dealer has a pre-season buying program, but they are 45 minutes away, so basically I would need to make 3 or 4 trips back there to get my pellets for the year.

Any other suggestion for pellet places is appreciated.

Hi and welcome from Pa. Youll find this site very helpfull to you in your new purchase, as I have. Hopefully, you wont need it, but there is some great people here. good luck and enjoy your new stove.

Sometimes farm and feed stores carry pellets.

Some on the board here like the Country Boy pellets. I find that their ashes tend to clump up in our Harman Advance.

I've brought two tons home in one trip but I have a 1 ton dually truck. I'm sure that would be too much for a 3/4. Look at the postive side: you only have ONE ton to unload and stack at a time!

Ken

Thanks for the welcome guys. With having the one ton of pellets at the house (and unloaded), I have some time to shop around for some deals for next season. I will definitely be prebuying for 2008 winter. I am already looking around for the best deal in a reasonable distance.

Your right, one ton of pellets is enough to unload at one time!

Magnum said:
I'm new to this site and wood pellet's in general. I did quite a bit of research on wood pellet's and stoves (here and other places on the net) and last night I bought a new Harman Accentra. I based this decision largely on the knowledgable dealer, the warranty and to be honest, it was the one stove that my wife liked the looks of the best. ha. (I know, good reason to base the purchase of a stove on).

We've been heating our 2,400 sq ft house with just propane this year and with $3.25 propane, I figured it was time to diversify at least some. We are going to use the Accentra to supplement our propane as best as we can. I don't think it will heat the whole house, but that is not our intention.

I got a pretty good deal on the stove as the dealer sold me what they referred to as a "red dot" stove. Supposedly it has some cosmetic issues to it and the factory cut them a deal on it. I looked it over and the cosmetic issues are pretty minor and I like saving money!

I ended up buying a ton of pellets from the dealer. They were a tad pricey at $250 a ton (they are Country Boy White Lightning), but the dealer told me they are oak pellets and will burn hot and with low ash. If nothing more, it will give me a basis to judge other pellets against.

I have been searching through the pellet price reports (following the link in the sticky above) and following this forum concerning prices and availability. The only bad thing is that these can only be filtered by state. Is there any way to get prices in my area (Central Ohio/Columbus/Marysville area)? I plan on checking out Home Depot, TSC and a local country store that I think sells them.

I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and it handled the ton of pellets just fine, so delivery isn't an issue. But with $4 diesel, it makes sense to get them as close as possible. The stove dealer has a pre-season buying program, but they are 45 minutes away, so basically I would need to make 3 or 4 trips back there to get my pellets for the year.

Any other suggestion for pellet places is appreciated.

Hi Magnum,

I live in the Marysville area, just purchased a Harman XXV in January and have been burning White lightning pellets from the begining.

I have also burned Sommerset from TSC, American Wood Fiber and ProPellets. I also have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and trailer and can haul five ton at a time. I also have a front end loader with pallet forks to unload pallets with. So far White Lightning and Summerset are my top choice. ProPellets burn hotter but have more ash. I just finished cleaning the stove after burning four bags and ash was considerably higher.

I have a contact at the AWF plant in Circleville and I can by them direct from the plant for 160.00/ton. But it is a 12 ton minimum. A friend of mine on the west side of Marysville is having his accentra installed Friday.

Maybe we can purchase pellets in bulk and save some bucks!

I also have a friend that manages a TSC and he has many tons of Summerset in storage under roof. I have signed up at sevral local stove shops that sell pellets to recieve thier "Summer Sale" flier. Once I recieve them TSC will price match. I'll compare them all with AWF price and go from there.

My xxv has been great so far- best of luck with your new stove.

Dan

What dealer did you purchase your stove from? Was it near Urbana?

Hi Magnum,

I live in the Marysville area, just purchased a Harman XXV in January and have been burning White lightning pellets from the begining.

I have also burned Sommerset from TSC, American Wood Fiber and ProPellets. I also have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and trailer and can haul five ton at a time. I also have a front end loader with pallet forks to unload pallets with. So far White Lightning and Summerset are my top choice. ProPellets burn hotter but have more ash. I just finished cleaning the stove after burning four bags and ash was considerably higher.

I have a contact at the AWF plant in Circleville and I can by them direct from the plant for 160.00/ton. But it is a 12 ton minimum. A friend of mine on the west side of Marysville is having his accentra installed Friday.

I also have a friend that manages a TSC and he has many tons of Summerset in storage under roof. I have signed up at sevral local stove shops that sell pellets to recieve thier "Summer Sale" flier. Once I recieve them TSC will price match. I'll compare them all with AWF price and go from there.

Dan

I bought the stove at Bauer's near Urbana. It is coming to be installed tomorrow. I live northwest of Marysville, up on Shirk Road.

I would be very interested in going in with you on a bulk order for pellets or any better deal that we can swing. I would like to get 4 ton for next season to be safe, so I have no problem splitting the 12 ton 3 ways. I will PM you my email address.

I was looking at trailers today online with the notion of being able to get more pellets in one run, but that probably won't happen anytime this year.

Gentlemen,
I also purchased from Bauer and live near them. I would be interested as well in getting in on a pellet deal. I would be looking for 4 tons.
Let me know!
Thanks
Don

Magnum said:
Hi Magnum,

Dan

I bought the stove at Bauer's near Urbana. It is coming to be installed tomorrow. I live northwest of Marysville, up on Shirk Road.

I would be very interested in going in with you on a bulk order for pellets or any better deal that we can swing. I would like to get 4 ton for next season to be safe, so I have no problem splitting the 12 ton 3 ways. I will PM you my email address.

I was looking at trailers today online with the notion of being able to get more pellets in one run, but that probably won't happen anytime this year.

I bought stove at the same place. I have known them for years and have been very happy with the service. I purchased a VC wood stove from them 12 years ago. Not enough time in the day or strenght in the back for wood so I switch to pellets. Best move in a long time. Same heat=less work=more play.

I know Shirk road, probably the same crew that will install my friends. He lives on Bear Swamp. I live closer to Richwood then Marysville.

When buying four ton at a time you need to think about getting them off the trailer- one ton at a time if possoble. That would be alot of hauling if you have to move each individual bag. Plus, it's not the best to handle each bag as it causes pellets to break/crumble and creates more dust/fines. That in turn can cause auger noise (I'm speaking from experience).

I have tractor with pallet forks to handle one ton at a time. I plan on storing the in my barn for next heating season. If you get in a pinch maybe we can work something out, if you want.

I look forward to your email.

Dan

DonB- Springfield is a bit of a drive from Marysville. Have you looked around town to see what your options are.

Not trying to discourage you and welcome your interest in bulk ordering but a large part of the cost in pellets is transportation. Any savings in bulk ordering could dwindle fast due to freight.

Magnum I look forward to you email.

Dan

Justaddwater said:
Magnum said:
I bought stove at the same place. I have known them for years and have been very happy with the service. I purchased a VC wood stove from them 12 years ago. Not enough time in the day or strenght in the back for wood so I switch to pellets. Best move in a long time. Same heat=less work=more play.

I know Shirk road, probably the same crew that will install my friends. He lives on Bear Swamp. I live closer to Richwood then Marysville.

When buying four ton at a time you need to think about getting them off the trailer- one ton at a time if possoble. That would be alot of hauling if you have to move each individual bag. Plus, it's not the best to handle each bag as it causes pellets to break/crumble and creates more dust/fines. That in turn can cause auger noise (I'm speaking from experience).

I have tractor with pallet forks to handle one ton at a time. I plan on storing the in my barn for next heating season. If you get in a pinch maybe we can work something out, if you want.

I look forward to your email.

Dan

Dan

I sent you an email back. Look forward to meeting up with you. My current storage situation is limited, but I'm looking to fixing that maybe this summer. I carried the first ton down into the basement, which probably created some fines from handling. I thought about that about half way through the pallet. I was trying to be careful, but you can only be so careful with a 40lb bag!

If we buy in bulk, maybe we could work out some sort of storage arrangement until I get me another garage built. My stove is coming to be installed today.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.