New Harman P35i Insert Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Folkers

Jul 23, 2012
South East, MA
Hello All,

I have some concerns about my installation, and wanted to get some input from the group. The installer did NONE of the following: D. Existing Fireplace Installation: If using a short run of venting, whether flex or rigid, through the damper and into the chimney flue; The Damper must be removed or locked in the open position and sealed with a plate constructed of steel or other non-combustible material. Kaowool, mineral wool or other non-combustible insulation is recommended above the plate to reduce the possibility of condensation. You will also need to wrap the venting section between the insert frame and the damper sealing plate. This is to prevent overheating of the fireplace cavity, which may cause damage to the insert's motors and other electrical components. The connector pipe should extend through the sealing plate and smoke chamber and into, or beyond the first flue tile. The above statements being from the Harman install manual. The Harman instructions qualify the above statement by stating: "If using a short run of venting". The vertical run from my fireplace firebox to the top of the chimney is approx 15'. I wouldn't consider a 15' vertical run to be short, I would consider that average for a single story ranch, but I'm no expert. Can I conclude from the above, that If NOT using a short run of venting, none of the subsequent instructions need to be performed?? So, my question is: has anyone else had any experience with a P35i install that could speak to my concern? Or, is there anyone on the forum that has install experience that would care to share their thoughts? When the town inspector came by, he checked the stove clearances, but didn't asked me any questions. He signed off on the install. For all I know, the installer could have followed " standard practice " when he installed my stove, therefore my concerns are not warranted.

BTW, was that game ending field goal really GOOD, for those that stayed up to watch the Pats/Ravens game???

Thanks........

I have a P35i in my fireplace. I originally had an Englander insert and performed the installation myself. The way I did it was to open the damper, insert a 4" flexible pipe up the flue through a plate I sealed to the top of the flue. I have a chimney cap so nothing else on top was needed. I did "seal" around the damper with non-combustible insulation as a matter of wanting my chimney completely sealed. By the way, great stove in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback....

I wonder if I should do as you did, namely, seal around the damper with non-combustible insulation. When I asked the installer if he installed a block plate at the damper he stated it was not necessary as it was sealed at the top of the chimney. This very well may be "common practice" with respect to installations. The things I'm concerned about are: will NOT having a block plate at the damper affect the stove's efficiency, and, is it possible I may have an issue with condensation.

Thanks..

I guess you may have a condensation issue either way. My thought process is to not heat the chimney when the stove is off. I would think it would get warm from the pipe when running and that the clay/brick would absorb the heat coming off the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.