New Harman P68 Install Advice/Brand-type of venting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepboyny

Feb 7, 2010
Potsdam, NY
Greetings fellow pellet pigs.

Just purchased a Harman P68 and hoping that it arrives to bring home in the next couple of days.

I will be installing this myself, and also building my own hearth to set it on.

This stove will be situated in the corner of my living room and I'll vent out thru the wall but that's where the questions begin. I know the Harman shows both scenarios of having the venting going up several feet either inside or outside the house, or directly straight out the wall. Straight out would look the best to me I think, and use the least amount of vent pipe. Should I get Harman's pass-thru or someone elses?

I guess it's time for me to go into pellet pig mode and get a few ton stocked up as well. The place I purchased the stove also owns their own pellet mill so I will be trying a ton of theirs. Empire/Upstate I think they are.. and my roommate works at Lowes, in lawn and garden no less, so that's another source. I'm waiting to hear back from him as to what kind they have there right now.

I'm in Northern NY state, and we also have Curran's pellets that are made near here about 20 miles away but I haven't heard many good things about them and when I hade an Englander stove a few years back I tried a few bags in it and was less than impressed.

So can anyone here give me the best tips for venting of this stove? I think I have everything else covered for now.

Thanks!!

Straight out would look the best to me I think, and use the least amount of vent pipe. Should I get Harman's pass-thru or someone elses?

Mine is straight out and using the Harman thimble. Was an easy install. Straight out's disadvantage is no draft if the power goes out without a contingency plan, meaning you could get smoke in the house.

My config goes strait up and out using Duravent PVP. 12 foot vertical, 3 Seasons and no complaints. If you are considering using an OAK folks on here have had good results with Selkirk Direct Temp. It allows you to run the exhaust and outside air through the same pipe. Other options available too. In any event there are wall thimbles to handle the wall pass through of just pipe and/or the outside air vent. You don't need to use Harman's thimble but I hear it's nice.

I'd save yourself the cost of the piping and go straight out with as little pipe as possible (easier install, less pipe expense, easier to clean and will require less cleanings than pipe with elbows and vertical sections) and get the UPS that Harman recommends in the manual, protect your couple hundred dollar control board from power surges while also having the added benefit of if the power goes out it properly shuts down the stove while continuing to run the exhaust fan so you don't get smoke in the house.

Welcome!
We have a P61 corner install. Not quite straight out but has one 45 degree then out the wall with no rise.
The dealer installed it. As stated above, very easy to clean that way.
Our install was in 2008, and no issues. I think the wall thimble is a Harman.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.