New Harman PB105 installation--question about underground pipe sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katman

Jul 7, 2008
annapolis md
I'm about to start the installation of my new Harman PB 105. It will be a remote install, going in a pole building about 100 feet from my house. I plan to tie it into my existing oil boiler/baseboard system. I've been evaluating several options for the underground piping. My initial preference was to run 1 1/4 inch iron pipe, foamed in the ditch. Compared that to 1 1/2 oxygen barrier pex that I would wrap with insulation and pull through 6 inch PVC. Both are about the same price. The least expensive option (for what I would consider an acceptable solution) is to use Thermapex at approximately $12.50/ft. I think the Thermapex is a nice product and it would actually be considerbly less expensive and less labor. The downside is the size of the pipe --the one inch is actuall a little less than an inch ID. My plumber and I figure the thermapex would carry the BTUs we need but we would suffer a bit in performance. Wondering how others dealt with the tradeoffs and if those who have used smaller pipe diameter in thermapex or other products are satisfied?

you can get 1 1/4" thermopex or logstor for about $16/ ' I used 1 1/4 Thermopex on mine and have no drop in temp on
my 85' run that I can measure.

I'm planning my system at the moment and am trying to figure out the size of my underground supply and return as well...My system will have a Econoburn 200 in a small outbuilding 50 feet from the house. House will have roughly 1000 sq feet of in floor on the first floor and 1800 sq feet in the basement. I will also plumb in DHW. Will have 2 500 gallon propane tanks horizontal in the basement....From what I read, it seems best to size the pipe to keep flow velocities lower....From online charts it looks like 10 gpm would be a good figure to shoot for. Using that, I think I need 1 1/4" with a 30 deg delta T. Then I read that people have problems topping off the storage with lower flow rates and that 20 gpm would be better....Maybe a variable speed circulator that can adjust the flow to match the boiler output/load would be best....Woodmaster, your system seems similar to what I will have...What gpm and delta T are you seeing? Are you able to run your boiler full out without idling to get those last BTU's in storage?

I can get my storage up pretty high before it starts idle any. I have my storage right by the boiler with 1 1/2 " pipe
split with a T and reduced to 1 1/4" going to each tank parallel I usually have a 15 to 25 degree delta t threw the boiler
depending where it's at in the burn and temp of water going in.

I Know the circulator isn't turned right in the picture.

Attachments

• boiler plumb.jpg
    boiler plumb.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 285
  • boiler plumb 3.jpg
    boiler plumb 3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 309
  • boiler pipe ins 1.jpg
    boiler pipe ins 1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 281
Anyone know a source for the 1 1/4 thermapex? My local cental dealer just has the one inch. Called Central and they won't sell direct.

Can't he get it for you ? Any other outdoor boiler places around that may be able to get logstor ?

Hi
When i was doing my underground lines i wanted to go with 1 1/4",it was really expensive,so i was advised to run two runs of 1" each way.Turned out to be a lot cheaper,my runs were 120' each way.Was faster to get the 1" as well.
Thomas

Well, finally connected with the guy in Delaware and turns out he is bidding a job close to my place so he will drop off some the the 1 1/4 inch thermopex. At $17/ft it is about the same as my cost for foaming in ditch 1 1/2 inch opex. temp is a little iffy for foaming right now so this will work!

That spray foam don't work very well when it's cold. I used to use it at work and we had to keep the lines really warm to work
right so I think your probably making a good decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.