New hearth and chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jconley23

Sep 14, 2014
Michigan
To late to talk me out of it. [emoji6]

So I thought the stove and hearth and chimney being in the middle of everything would be great. Wrong! After 6 months of stubbed toes and living room being arranged funny and stove blower only blowing into the livingroom I finally got fed up...

So. I decided I wanted it in the corner. So after researching and talking to retired stove installers at work I got working.

Basic concept. Yes carpet was nasty. Was there when we bought it. We have 1200 bucks of wood laminate click together stuff In the dining room.

899d3170ea4449abb25f593bb9adfec1.jpg

Ripped out carpet and moved things around. And built the floor. Two layers of durock with ceramic tile on top.

e49a1a593f3d45048cacf6a0f5e23d98.jpg

So. Can anyone see a problem? (Hint. Its wood). Yup. I was told to use furring strips. So I got wood furring strips.

1516b04fe51f5a8fb4ccc43da09c2558.jpg

Got this far and talked to a guy at work because it didn't seem right. He said WRONG. Hat channel!!! Not wood. (Cumbustable)

e896aadbab8b61b5eaea7ec27dbd3d76.jpg

So if anyone noticed. Had to relocate a power outlet and DirecTV jack. BTW. Had to tear the wall Down and head two towns over to find hat channel.

Walls redone

4ec39ee826d4f61e859140fbc81e119c.jpg

cb8bee3770343dab9a74e09c88da8c4b.jpg

So. Here we are. Just got done tiling the walls. First time tiling. Just got the hang of it. Grout tomorrow night. Beer time.

92318f1a602a6d11b5700cc0f3d5d8fe.jpg

4155ca253c7db18c699c2a2cfa02c3e2.jpg

Once grout is done stove will move over and new chimney will be installed. Double wall up to duravent through the roof kit. Then class A 9 feet up.

Bummer about the wall tear down. What stove is going in and why the NFPA wall shield? In the future if you do this again, you can create furring strips by snapping off 3" x 36" strips of the cement board and doubling them up.

A diamond shaped edge on the floor may have made for less toe jamming on the corner

We bought this house and property last august. Great part of Michigan on of the top schools in the state for a fantastic price, but the house needs TLC ... Its solid but all the little stuff like paint/carpet/updating needs to be done. Waiting for some warmer weather to paint (open windows). Then the new wood laminate flooring that's stacked in the dining room will go down.

Oh. And we are planning to put the wood ceiling up over the terribly done drywall. That may wait till next winter to give me something to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.