New Hearth & FP installed in September

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gkucera

Jun 17, 2009
Northern California
Hello,
We put in a Quadrafire 7100fp. I must say the support from Quad was not great, with vague answers to my questions and a non-response. I was a bit disappointed. If I had to do it again, I might go with one of the other options, the large BIS Tradition or the Delta.
We needed a big unit as we have a large great room. The fireplace is at one end, but the house is an open style and the upstairs wraps around the great room on three sides.
The before picture looks much better than the actual fireplace looked; it was a decorative gas unit with marble tile that did not go with the house.
The final product incorporates 4.5 tons of South Bay Quartzite (it is from New York) and almost a ton of Arizona flagstone. The hearth is 4.5 inches thick and 24" deep, the mantel is 5.5 inches thick and 7 ft. The width of this corner of the room is 10.5 ft.
I have my own nits about how it turned out, so any input/feedback/comments are welcome.
Regards, George

Attachments

• LivingRoomStaged1.jpg
    LivingRoomStaged1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 542
  • Late Sept Early Oct 2009 154.JPG
    Late Sept Early Oct 2009 154.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 535
  • Late Sept Early Oct 2009 156.JPG
    Late Sept Early Oct 2009 156.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 574
I really like it. It came out great IMO. Much nicer than before. Nice detail and area to store a few days worth of wood. Looks like high ceilings, I hope you have some fans up there!

What is underneath all that stone, supporting all that weight?

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I posted too hastily earlier and forgot to mention a couple of items. First, this site was very helpful in several ways helping me plan my fireplace; THANKS to all who have contributed and answered my prior posts. I explored too many options to mention here and avoided some important pitfalls (I hope all of them) with building a hearth to encase a unit. Second, after carefully selected a good mason to do the job. I wanted tight mortar joints and a good shaping. My mason was top notch and I am very pleased with that. Third, I also shopped around for material a long time. I resisted sandstone at first for the hearth and mantel, but am happy now with it. I could have paid a couple of thousand more for granite or quartzite slabs, but it didn't work into my already large budget. The material supply store near me was very, very helpful as well.
Since the sublevel (daylight basement as we are on a slope) is partially built out (about 630 sq. ft.), I decided to add the option to pull convection air from below if I desire. I don't think the vacuum effect will pull much warm air down the stairway, but it may help a bit to distribute heat. I am putting dampers on the y-joints of my HVAC so that in the Winter I can focus more heat to the sublevel instead of the greatroom and in the summer, do the opposite with A/C.
I have only done one small curing burn so far. Soon I will do a few more small burns to finish the process. I have three + cords of oak outside and am building a shed to store it in right now. The upstairs is partially open to the hallway near the top and two bedrooms share walls on the 2nd floor. I was thinking about putting damperable vents in both bedrooms to allow hot air to flow in as desired. Also, the upstairs HVAC return is about 7' from the top of the room (room is 20' high). With all of this I figure I will get the heat spread out a bit. We will see this winter.
The overall weight added was about 8.5 tons (with 2 tons of mortar, framing, the 550 pound quad and the 27' of Duraplus chimney. The sublevel had to be beefed up considerably. Two 4x4 posts were added under the outside girder and a 6x6 reinforcing the central girder with a separate footing). Spanning between the girders, resting on top of the existing 2x10 joists are two new beams, a 6x8 and a 6x10.
If anyone wants advice, I did do my research, so please contact me; I would be happy to help you! :) George

Very sharp looking.

Do you have any work in progess shots? That would be a great series of pic's seeing it go up.

GeorgeK said:
Hello,
We put in a Quadrafire 7100fp. I must say the support from Quad was not great, with vague answers to my questions and a non-response. I was a bit disappointed. If I had to do it again, I might go with one of the other options, the large BIS Tradition or the Delta.
We needed a big unit as we have a large great room. The fireplace is at one end, but the house is an open style and the upstairs wraps around the great room on three sides.
The before picture looks much better than the actual fireplace looked; it was a decorative gas unit with marble tile that did not go with the house.
The final product incorporates 4.5 tons of South Bay Quartzite (it is from New York) and almost a ton of Arizona flagstone. The hearth is 4.5 inches thick and 24" deep, the mantel is 5.5 inches thick and 7 ft. The width of this corner of the room is 10.5 ft.
I have my own nits about how it turned out, so any input/feedback/comments are welcome.
Regards, George

Nice, whens the party!

Zap

stejus said:
Do you have any work in progess shots? That would be a great series of pic's seeing it go up.

Here are the few that I have...and a gratuitous shot of my daughter in front of the semi-finished unit.

Attachments

• Late Sept Early Oct 2009 001.JPG
    Late Sept Early Oct 2009 001.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 440
  • Late Sept Early Oct 2009 002.JPG
    Late Sept Early Oct 2009 002.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 452
  • Late Sept Early Oct 2009 003.JPG
    Late Sept Early Oct 2009 003.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Late Sept Early Oct 2009 004.JPG
    Late Sept Early Oct 2009 004.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 441
  • Late Sept Early Oct 2009 005.JPG
    Late Sept Early Oct 2009 005.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 443
  • Late Sept Early Oct 2009 017.JPG
    Late Sept Early Oct 2009 017.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 445
Here are some earlier foundational photos. In the one you can see the 6x10 and the 6x8 with two 2x2 risers, where they attach to the central girder. They are sitting on 3/4" plywood to spread some of the weight to the underlying joists and 1" plywood on top of the beams to spread the weight around as well. My two sons provide some perspective. The other pipe going up is the exhaust from my lower level water heater close to directly below the unit in the unimproved part of the sublevel.

Attachments

• Stairway_and_Fireplace_Construction_001.JPG
    Stairway_and_Fireplace_Construction_001.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 427
  • Pictures through August 264.JPG
    Pictures through August 264.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 428
  • Pictures through August 265.JPG
    Pictures through August 265.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 425
  • Pictures through August 269.JPG
    Pictures through August 269.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 425
  • Pictures through August 272.JPG
    Pictures through August 272.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 441
Beautiful! I love the wood storage but would kind of miss the book storage too.

Status
Not open for further replies.