New Hearth, millboard and 28 ga sheet metal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dnichols822

Aug 29, 2008
Central New York
On the back of my wood stove it says the floor has to be of 1/4 inch asbestos mill board and 28 gauge sheet metal or equivalent. I wanted to know if anyone knows how many sheets of cement board is equivalent to this? I am laying porcelain tile on top of the cement board in case that matters? Thanks.

Asbestos Mill Board? How old is this stove?? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe "asbestos" has been banned since 1977 for commercial use. I would personally look at 1/2" Micore 300. You need to know either the R or K-Value for your stove.
Kev

I am building a new hearth and need "sheet metal". What should the sheet metal be made of? I found sheet metal made of aluminum and steel so far? What is the ideal metal to use inbetween cement board?

Steel sheet metal is pretty common so it's probably what I'd used but in this application, either is probably fine. Which is cheaper or easier to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.