New hearth questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
So, I'm just about ready to start the new hearth and tile job in the stove room........but I keep going back and forth on the best way to build up the hearth.
The floor is a nice solid slab, no cracks. I had originally thought of using concrete blocks to build the platform, then tile on that, and maybe oak or pine on the vertical faces.
Would someone advise on this, or maybe an alternative method to build the platform?
I had thought maybe using some 2x's, then durock or whatever is needed for protection under the stove. Not much heat from the bottom of the stove ( a couple of our dachsies like to sleep under there), so maybe the wood base would work. It would be much easier to build, although laying the block isn't that difficult, either.
The platform will be 4 ft. wide, 40" deep, and about a foot high.
The room is cleared out, and ready to go, but I'm having a tough time pulling the trigger.
I know some here have done this, and would really appreciate some input.
Any other info needed? I can take a couple pics of the space in question.
Thanks in advance, I hope.

I would look through the perfect picture section of this site for ideas, or do a search of this site.

IMHO -- I have seen some really nice looking tiled hearths, but personally would be concerned with longevity/cracking of tile. Depending on the weight, size of the feet/pedestal, and dropping splits, iron stove tools etc. More than likely this has more to do with the substrate, construction design and quality of tile.

I personally like stone, it holds/radiates the heat, durable, conceals dirt. Pictures of its construction are in the signature below.

Thanks madison. I followed your build, and I really like the bluestone that the T6 sits on.
I was thinking more on the order of slate for the top of the platform, instead of the tile. Tile will be on the floor.
I've seen most of the builds, but I'll keep looking around. I've got until the end of this month, then the fires start.

Random thoughts:

If you're looking for simple and sturdy with not much rise you could use plywood for your base and just screw as many layers together as needed . . . cover with Durock or Wonderboard and tile or use stone (for ember protection) . . . of course bearing in mind that you need to meet the stove's R-value (if any) requirement.

If you wanted to raise the hearth a bit and wanted to be super-safe you could use steel 2 x 4s and build the hearth on top of this . . .

If you wanted to use the concrete blocks to raise the hearth even more you could do so . . . but I would suggest cementing the blocks together and in place myself and not applying tile or stone directly to the block without using Durock or Concrete . . . this should minimize any movement and flex which should in theory reduce any tile/stone cracking or loosening up.

If you go with slate (which I did . . . mainly because I was given several boxes free) I would suggest you buy the better stuff . . . apparently there is a difference in the slate you buy at the big box stores and the local tile/stone shop. I know some folks have reported problems with slate flaking . . . I haven't had any issues myself . . . then again I don't throw my tools or wood around on the hearth.

Thanks for that Jake. The idea is to bring the stove up about a foot or maybe slightly more, to eliminate kneeling (knees are getting bad).
Seems to me that if I did the concrete blocks ( using mortar mix to set), there won't be any movement.
We actually have a flooring shop in town, which is odd to me, since all we have is a blinker. They laid the vinyl flooring down in 3 rooms for us last year. I've been meaning to talk to them. Might do that today.
I can't ponder on this too long though.

Maybe bring it up even higher then? You can store wood underneath. This could be a wood-framed platform or metal-welded with a nice tiled top. Here's a shot of jaquith's hearth.

Attachments

• jotul3blue.jpg
    jotul3blue.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 196
Well, Finally started the hearth buildup. Went with 2x's @ 9", and am using Wonderboard on top of that.
I have enough WB to go 2.5", since the required k-value for this stove is .84. If I'm calculating things right, that means I need 2.3 inches of this stuff. Am I close? Way off?
I've got 2 layers down right now, then decided to take a break to get on here for some help.
I got the stove back from my friend, too. Some may remember the thread about "can warping". Rebuild of the back plate came out nice. He called me just as I was putting the 2x base in the stove room. Had to drop that, and get to his house, since he was due to head back downstate for a bunch more work.
Almost forgot, he put in a bracket for firebrick in the back of the stove. None there before. I had brick in there last couple of years, that kept falling if I hit them with a split (happened a lot!).
Anyway, here's some pics, since we all know.....no pics, it didn't happen. :lol:

Edit:
After looking at https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/k_values_what_does_it_all_mean again, I converted k to r, and came up with just over 1.5" needed to satisfy my required hearth protection. I'll probably just go ahead with the full 2.5" ( since that's what I bought) to cover any possible future stove installation.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_4576resize.jpeg
    IMG_4576resize.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4586resize.jpeg
    IMG_4586resize.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4578resize.jpeg
    IMG_4578resize.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4583resize.jpeg