New Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

84td

Nov 5, 2010
Norfolk
Extending my hearth so I can move my new woodstock out of the fireplace hole and out into the open. I do not have a raised hearth so this is my plan based on the instructions on building a hearth pad on woodstocks website.

I am going to laydown 3/4in plywood half and half over the current hearth and my hardwood floors.
1/2in dura rock ontop of that
then going to mortar 3/8 grey slate, frame it with some upside down crown molding and grout it.

Any advise or other ideas?

Should work. Is the current hearth exactly flush with the current floor? Place a long level on it to check. Sometimes it looks flush, but is not.

Sounds like a good idea. You will take full advantage of that radiant heat if it sits out further from the fireplace.

I think you will realize more heat.
I put a heat shield on the back of my stove to reflect some of the heat out wards,
it seems to make a big difference.

Yes, More heat!!

Actually the hearth and the floor have some slight variations from settling over the years, up to 1/8 inch in some places. I am hoping the 1/2in dura rock and the mortar + slate will be strong enough to hold up without cracking. There wont be much walking on it.

You'll have the best success by starting off with a level, contiguous surface. Even with only a little walking, things are going to flex and conform to the uneveness over time with a 500# weight sitting on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.