New Hearthstone Heritage Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harth

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
Anyone have any suggestions on how to connect duravent DVL double wall pipe to a heritage ? the stove adaptor that they sell is pretty loose ? since it's double wall it also goes over the decorative collar. It's about 16ft. of DVL going straight up in a great room.

The outer wall of the double wall goes on the outside the inner wall still goes inside the flue collar. Secure it with screws and gasket cement the gap if needed.

it should fit tight, there realy isnt a place for screws. The adapter or the strait dvl fit good enough that it should be a tight pressure fit.

Sorry for digging up old threads. I also had Simpson DVL pipe intalled. A slip piece with the outer piece on top. Anywaym it just sets down onto the stove's cast flue outlet. There are little screw slots in the DVL at the stove interface. Do I need to call back my installer and require that he screw the DVL to the stove? The screw slots don't currently line up with the holes in the cast iron flue collar. We put the seams in the back.

Highbeam said:
Sorry for digging up old threads. I also had Simpson DVL pipe intalled. A slip piece with the outer piece on top. Anywaym it just sets down onto the stove's cast flue outlet. There are little screw slots in the DVL at the stove interface. Do I need to call back my installer and require that he screw the DVL to the stove? The screw slots don't currently line up with the holes in the cast iron flue collar. We put the seams in the back.

I believe code requires that there be a solid attachment at each joint, I know the rule is three screws at each joint with single wall. I certainly wouldn't buy just a slip fit or press on, but would insist on some sort of screws. Not sure you need an installer though. (Of course I probably wouldn't be using an installer in the first place but... ;-) ) That said, I would just get some self tapping sheet metal screws of the right length and drill them in through the holes in the flue collar, don't worry that much about the slots in the pipe.

I would also question the comment about the outer peice being on top - How do the inside parts of the pipe line up? Remember that with stove pipe you want the SMALL end facing down, (Think of a stack of funnels) so that any creosote that forms will run down the inside of the pipe, not leak out the seams to the outside. - I'd question whether the pipe was installed facing the correct direction - it might be as I'm not familiar with that product (my setups are both single wall) however it should be verified that the INSIDES of the pipes are pointing the right way.

Gooserider

New screws in new holes to hold the double wall pipe to the collar would be very tough to get right since I can't see the existing holes in the cast iron collar below the outer wall of the double wall. I know that they are under there somewhere though. I don't think I want to just start drilling holes to try and locate them. Ideally, the double wall piece could be rotated until suddenly the collar holes align with the shell holes and everything just works but that would require some careful construction methods with careful industry standardization. Is that the case?

The telescoping double wall piece has a sticker indicating flow direction and the sticker requires that the small end of the slip joint be on the bottom. I believe it was assembled when they took it out of the original packaging. It would be proper in my mind that the inner layer of the pipe be lapped such that the funnels allow creosote to drain inside the pipe and into the stove. Maybe the smaller OD bottom piece slides outside the inner wall of the top section to allow proper creosote drainage.

Are you using the DVL adapter? It's the one that comes with or without the damper. We plan on using the one with the damper when installing our new Tribute stove. It's part number 8680 without damper and 8679 with damper.

The bottom is crimped, looks like to make a tighter fit in the stove outlet. Anyone use this for a Hearthstone install?

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 359
I'm not using the adapter but I did find it while searching around. It cost 40$ but the same problem exists of trying to attach it to the stove or not. In the DVL instructions for vertical installations they just say to extend it down to the stove. On "T" installations they call out the three screws. The figures both show the screws though. I didn't note whether the inside layer of the slip section included the crimped end but I would assume so. The adapter doesn't really do me any good but if I needed it then I would get the damper as a bit of security in the case of a chimney fire.

I simply have the support box, the little collar that adapts to the DVL, and then a single long telescoping section right to the stove collar. There are screws installed to hold the slip joint extended but nowhere else. It can't really go anywhere since it is expanded inside the stove collar and support box adapter but it seems hokey.

On the Hearthstone website they show a double wall connection of the tribute with no apparent screws being used. The pro installer claimed up and down that no screws are needed at the top or bottom of that slip joint. Obviously, the inspector will also have a stab at it when the time comes.

Hmmm..try emailing this fella at Hearthstone. They recommend Simpson specifically in their manuals, so I'm sure they know it all. Let us know what they say. Jim Casavant [[email protected]]

Funny, did it already, Jim is a good guy and proud of the product. This might fall under the application of an accessory though so he might not have a definitive answer.

The outer wall of the double wall has predrilled slots for conenction to the next piece. The next piece usually has no holes so the screw just makes new ones in just the right spot. In this case the "next piece" is the cast iron collar with predrilled holes that must be in the exact right place to fit without forcing the cone of the inner wall to leak smoke into the house. I would rather have a tight seal to the smoke path. I don't really want to drill and tap new holes in the cast iron collar either.

Surely there are installers on the board who use these very popular products. How do you folks hook DVL to hearthstones?

So turns out we must screw the DVL to the flue collar and that the holes will not line up. Just one hole and then mark and try and find the rest. I suppose/assume that the holes in the cast iron are to be used and the new holes are to be drilled through the walls of the DVL. Lovely. Another vote for some installers NOT knowing their own business.

Yippy skippy, I just passed my inspection and had a specific discussion about the stove collar connection.

The inspector said that it is not required and since he is the AHJ and the stove manual doesn't say any different I would conclude that I am just fine without connecting anything rigidly to the stove.

It is too bad that such a simple black and white issue is so gray. Oh and had I not plumbed the outside air duct I would have failed inspection.

Fire tonight!!

Congrats, Hibeam. Fire that sucker up and post some pictures of the installation.

WooHoo! Tonight's breakin time.

As to the stove collar, why not just drill new holes and screw it? Guaranteed to align that way.

Yep, I just reviewed the break in procedure for soapstone and it won't be a hot fire but it will be warm. I'll need to split up some cedar for a kindling only fire.

On the stove collar the plan would have been to drill custom holes in the outer shell that hopefully line up with the predrilled holes in the cast iron and then run the screws all the way through both walls of the double wall but not tighten them so tight as to crush the walls together. Turns out that they are not needed though so why bother? Noone here seemed to think it mattered either way and the inspector said they aren't supposed to be there.

As promised I'll write up a huge thread with tons of photos for all to see. Happy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.