New Hearthstone Heritage - what thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike592

Jul 22, 2013
SW Ohio
Hi everyone, we've fired up our new Hearthstone Heritage for the first time (after break in) and I'd like to get a thermometer for the stove. The pipe is double walled. What do you recommend? (Links would be great.) Where do I place it on the stove? Thanks.

Most users get this one for the stove top. Rutland makes one but it is much less recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=condar inferno&sprefix=condar inf,aps&rh=i:aps,k:condar inferno
Put it a few inches in front of the pipe or about in the middle of the stove top. I found the hottest spot on the top with an infrared thermometer and put it there, but absolute accuracy isn't important.

If you want one for the double wall pipe for flue temps as well, get Condar's "FlueGard".

Enjoy your new stove!

Last edited:
Yes, you need two meters for this stove. It is required to have two. You need a stove top meter since overfiring is only 600 degrees and you can crack stones. You need a probe meter for the double wall since that is the only way to measure internal flue temps and the heritage is very capable of sending 1250 degree smoke up the flue really soon after ignition. I like the condar probe meter.

I ran a heritage for more than 25 cords of wood and that sucker can dump a lot of heat up the flue. CLass A pipe can only take 1000 continuously so you use the meters to prevent damage.

Thanks all. Any more suggestions for specific makes/models? Is that Inferno model above the accepted standard?

I really like the Condar Fluegard probe that was suggested to me by Begreen. I ordered it directly from the manufacturer and received it in 3 days. I also have a stovetop temp gage as well.
Myself being a newbie with a new stove, it sure helps to have both to learn about how your stove operates with different wood and damper settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.