New Heatiliator CAB50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mechelement

Dec 30, 2013
Kuna, ID
Just finished installing our new Heatilator CAB50 pellet stove. I got it at wholesale cost through one of my vendors/subcontractors and installed it myself. It replaced our old Whitfield Profile 20.

I did the 15 minute break-in pursuant to the manufacturer's instructions and shut it down. The fumes and smoke from the paint cure had the smoke alarms blaring in no time. Then I shut it down by turning the t-stat way down low. After it cycled down and the blower stopped, there was a noticeable hum coming from the stove. It changes pitch when I switch from High / Medium / Low. It's definitely an electronics hum and it's actually quite annoying. It goes away immediately once unplugged. It was still a little warm when I unplugged it. I plugged the unit back in after a minute and it runs a fan for 18 minutes. The fan just shut off and there's no humming.

Evidently there's no OFF button on these so it always has power and anticipates a call from the t-stat. Is OFF truly off only when unplugged?

The existing t-stat I have is 24VAC 7-day programmable ritetemp. The manual states the CAB50 is designed to run on a 12VAC t-stat. Will my existing t-stat puke the unit because it's 24VAC?

Switching over from a manually controlled stove (like an old-fashioned wood stove) to one of these electronic marvels can be quite a learning experience..

Yeah, already having issues...

1.) The thermocouple started erroring (3X amber blink, pause and repeat). Turns out the friggin' thing wasn't even connected behind the right panel. I checked all other wiring to ensure solid connectivity and everything else looked good. Finally heat... then it shut down because my t-stat reset after an hour - I forgot to put it on HOLD.
2.) Now the auger won't activate to feed the unit to start, so no heat. Could be: a.) thermocouple; b.) vacuum switch; c.) auger issue; d.) computer issue

Pellet stoves... This thing was a PITA to install in place of the Whitfield. The Whitfield nickeled and dimed me to death with electronics issues. I was extremely tempted to get that zig-zag looking one that has zero electronics. Anyway, the service tech is coming out later today.

The tech came this morning... Must've bought one built on a Friday. The blower motor was bound/stuck. He reset the snap switches and figured that out. Pulled the fan, reinstalled and voila.

We are now heating outhouse with the stove. This thing throws a lot more heat than the old Whitfield.

Reactions: bcarton
The tech came this morning... Must've bought one built on a Friday. The blower motor was bound/stuck. He reset the snap switches and figured that out. Pulled the fan, reinstalled and voila.

We are now heating outhouse with the stove. This thing throws a lot more heat than the old Whitfield.

That outhouse must be really something.

Status
Not open for further replies.