New heating season = new fuel choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
Hi all,

I haven't posted here since probably february. I had a rough first season with my Winslow stove, but eventually got it working (turned out to be a failed sensor on the exhaust side) and had a pretty good winter that didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

I burned 3 tons last year. (~2k sq ft house, main heat source) and used only 1 tank of oil (my hot water is on the boiler).

I generally buy in 1/2 ton lots due to my daktoa pickup not really capable of holding a full ton and storage issues (my basement is finished)

Last year, i used
1.5 ton American pellet (ok, kinda dirty, fed fast). Went through the first ton real quick (as i was learning the stove and not leaving it on all day in early months like a moron)
.5 ton green supreme (nice and clean, but didn't think they were worth their premium in cost)
.5 ton new england (VERY dirty. not interested in using these again. had to clean the burn pot every bag instead of every 2-3)
.5 ton lignetics. My favorite that i used all season. good heat, pretty clean.

This year, the shop in town that I buy from doesn't have the lignetics listed.

http://www.btpellet.com/pricelist.html

I've never heard of most of these other brands

Can anyone offer some insight on the options? Something similar or better than lignetics? They seem to be trying to push the Hammer Hot Ones, but they are a bit more expensive than all other options.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• PICT0904.JPG
    PICT0904.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 693
I have 3 pellet stoves in two houses and have been burning pellets for three winters. I've used Pennington (Walmart), Energex, Corinth(hard & softwood),Shaw's Eastern Ember's( PEI home), and New England Wood Pellets LLC.
New England Wood Pellets is far and away the best pellet I have used. I don't get many fines (saw dust) and it burns longer and hotter than the rest. Energex comes in second,followed by Corinth. Lignetics gets alot of good ratings on the forum but I have not used any yet.
Try a few bags of a brand before you commit to a whole ton. There will be plenty of pellets out there this year so don't panic and grab anything that comes in a 40lb. bag.

Actually, the price for the Shaw's Eastern Embers was very good compared to the U.S pellets.Pete's Stove and Hearth in Kensington was $5.75 CAD (about $5.25 USD). Stay away from Co-Op pellets up there on PEI. The Shaws' was as good as the Energex I've burned

I highly recommend Hammer Hot Ones. Burnt them last season and were the best pellets used to date. If you are able, pay the extra and get them. In the long run, you will use less pellets because of the better and cleaner heat that Hammer produces. I am surprised you are able to get them, my supplier is having trouble because of a fire at their Elkins plant.(Which produces their super premium pellet)

For the price listed, I'd go with the O'Malleys. Comparison burn a couple different brands first, if you can.

If I did the math right looks like you burned 3 tons last year.

I would get 2 tons of the O malleys for the shoulder periods(fall-spring)

And 1 ton of the Spruce Pointe pellets. They will give you a little extra heat for the cold days.

$775 plus delivery(same price as if you bought 3 tons of NEWPS.)

jay

Edit: By the way I got my O'Malleys there. I'm in CT too.

stillersnut said:
I highly recommend Hammer Hot Ones.

That's what i needed to hear.

I picked up a half ton today to try them out. If they ar eany good for me, i will likely buy 2 more tons over the course of october (my truck only handles 1/2 ton at a time).

I cleaned and fired up my stove for the first time this season just a few minuets ago. Took 2 tries to get the auger to dump pellets in (didn't run it 'dry' last season, but they must've cleared the chute). Otherwise, no problems and she's burning like a champ in here and it's already back to ~65 in the house (was down to 60, will be cold tonight, upper 30s)

running my first bag of the Hammer hot ones today.

I'm very impressed.

The auger is turning much less frequently than usual on setting 1 (which is where i usually run it all the time except for REALLY cold days i bump to 2 or 3). flame is nice. heat is GREAT. a VERY noticable differece over the new england pellet i had in there before (left over bag from last season).

They are expensive (300/ton) but they are worth it so far.

I was shocked at how small they are. smallest pellet i've burned to date. very few over 1/4-3/8" long.

Status
Not open for further replies.