New here and Have a few questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aces67

Dec 7, 2008
TX
I live in a manufactured home. It came with a factory installed Marco wood fireplace. We use this to heat our home during the day and then turn on the central heat at night. However lately we're having a heck of a time with it. I don't know if it's the type of wood we are burning or if something is going on with the fireplace itself but every time you light a fire in it you see occasional smoke coming out and our eyes are always burning. If you shut the doors on it then it's fine but then it doesn't heat as well either. It has a blower on it and I do use that.

It also has another switch on the side of it. Right behind the door. I have no idea what this is for. I never noticed until yesterday.

What do you think the problem is? I desperately need to use my fireplace without the burning eyes.

BTW it worked fine last year. I don't know what type of wood we are using but it came from trees that got blown over during hurricane Ike.

Thanks!

When was the last time a professional chimney sweep inspected and cleaned the system? Rick

aces67 said:
BTW it worked fine last year. I don't know what type of wood we are using but it came from trees that got blown over during hurricane Ike.

Well, Hurricane Ike was in September, right? So those trees were blown over just 3 months ago. Take into account the time it likely took for the trees to be cut up and then split, and you are probably using some pretty green wood that hasn't had enough time to season. Get yourself a stove full's worth of seasoned wood if you can and see how it burns compared to your stuff that was a result of Hurricane Ike.

Just my thoughts, but I'm really no expert. I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you.

It's never been inspected by a Chimney Sweep. Dh gets on the roof every year and takes the chimney cap off and cleans it and the inside of the chimney.

I'll try and find some older wood and try that also.

How tall is the chimney? Short chimneys have less draft than a taller one.

Ken

Not really sure. Dh thinks we need to buy a new cap for it. My chimney is one of those metal pipes that stick up with a vented cap on top.

Assuming that your stack is in good repair and clean, and that this system has worked proper in the past, I would bet on the wood as well. Get a couple of the grocery/gas station bundles and see if you have the same results. If that works fine, then you know the problem.

When it first got cold about a month ago I burned some dry wood in it from last year. I got a nice hot, hot, hot fire. I was able to keep it 80 degrees in here with no smoke and no burning eyes. We have a few trees down on our property that have been down a while so we are planning on cutting one of them this weekend and trying it out.

aces67 said:
When it first got cold about a month ago I burned some dry wood in it from last year. I got a nice hot, hot, hot fire. I was able to keep it 80 degrees in here with no smoke and no burning eyes. We have a few trees down on our property that have been down a while so we are planning on cutting one of them this weekend and trying it out.

DO NOT burn those Downed trees that are on you property unless they have been cut, split, and stacked for a year!

Bubbavh said:
DO NOT burn those Downed trees that are on you property unless they have been cut, split, and stacked for a year!

It depends. Some species, especially if held off the ground by limbs or other trees, and with the bark off, can be burned quickly if they aren't wet. Give me a couple of days of dry weather and I can find decent oak that's down (without the bark). OTOH, there's some stuff down on the ground and with the bark on that's just rotten and useless and not worth even cutting.

Maybe not perfect wood, but not all of it has to be cut, split and stacked for a year. Don't forget, the OP is burning in a fireplace, not an EPA woodstove. It's my understanding that fireplaces do not require quite as good of wood quality (although better quality wood is always better.)

Yes, in a perfect world, we would all be burning wood that's been cut, split, stacked and covered for 4 or 5 years.

Ken

Ken45 said:
Bubbavh said:

It depends. Some species, especially if held off the ground by limbs or other trees, and with the bark off, can be burned quickly if they aren't wet. Give me a couple of days of dry weather and I can find decent oak that's down (without the bark). OTOH, there's some stuff down on the ground and with the bark on that's just rotten and useless and not worth even cutting.

Maybe not perfect wood, but not all of it has to be cut, split and stacked for a year. Don't forget, the OP is burning in a fireplace, not an EPA woodstove. It's my understanding that fireplaces do not require quite as good of wood quality (although better quality wood is always better.)

Yes, in a perfect world, we would all be burning wood that's been cut, split, stacked and covered for 4 or 5 years.

Ken

I know it's not a perfect world and that some wood will dry fast! But unless he's got a moisture meter or a little more experience, he should err on the safe side. The downed tree could be more wet than the green wood!
Just be careful!
I just recently informed my neighbor who had a couple oak trees taken down cut up a split and started burning it a couple weeks later. I saw him outside informed him of the danger of burning green/wet wood and swapped some of my seasoned wood with him. He thought that burning pine was the cause creosote and chimney fires!
Go figure!!

Whether you can use standing dead trees or not I think depends on what part of the country you are in. Around here I cut down standing dead lodgepole pine trees that have been killed by bugs that have moisture content below 15%, some of it in the 5-10% range. You folks back east get a lot more precipitation than we do. Does the OP live in east Texas or west Texas? Big difference in rainfall and humidity...

Bubbavh said:
He thought that burning pine was the cause creosote and chimney fires!
Go figure!!

I think that's common folklore.

Whether you can use standing dead trees or not I think depends on what part of the country you are in. Around here I cut down standing dead lodgepole pine trees that have been killed by bugs that have moisture content below 15%, some of it in the 5-10% range. You folks back east get a lot more precipitation than we do. Does the OP live in east Texas or west Texas? Big difference in rainfall and humidity…

Well, the OP said "downed trees". You are definitely right about "what area of the country" but also a major issue is the tree species. I find DST red oak to shed it's bark and to be in good shape, but there are other varieties that are rotten before the bark falls off. Are there trees in West Texas? ;-)

Ken

We're in E. TX. And I'm utterly confused now. What type of tree should we try then? We have 120 Acres so I'm sure we can find whatever you guys suggest.

Thanks!

aces67 said:
We're in E. TX. And I'm utterly confused now. What type of tree should we try then? We have 120 Acres so I'm sure we can find whatever you guys suggest.

Thanks!

Don't let these goof balls get to ya. ;-P What they are referring to is seasoned (dry) firewood. Just because it has fallen down, doesn't really mean it is dry enough to burn right away.

With 120 acres I'm sure you can find something dry even in east Texas. Just look for dead standing/leaning or down trees and cut some up. I really suggest you get a moisture meter from harbor freight and check it out, as close to 20% or below as possible. You will just need to look around, I'm partial to pine but that's what we have the most of here. Good Luck!!!

Well that I can do. Harbor Freight just opened a store here a few weeks ago so I'll go by there and check it out! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.