New here and would like opinions from you seasoned burners on a Lopi insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
My family likes the fireplace and I have access to wood at my farm. I am not to keen on all the heat going up the chimney so I thought I'd get an insert. Problem is, my house is totally electric and I am on budget for $121.00 per month. This low cost makes me reluctant to spend several thousand dollars to buy a new insert. So, I found this Lopi on Craigslist that is close to home but would like to know if it is worth installing and if it will work without smoking up the house or neighborhood. I have a masonry fireplace and according to the measurements, this insert will fit. Also, since my fireplace is on the end of my house, would I need a liner in it? The chimney is lined with rectangular firebrick about 8x6 or somewhere in that neighborhood. Never really measured them. Anyway, thanks for any info and the Lopi link is at the bottom. Feel free to add any info you have about this insert if you like.

Thanks,
Rob

http://lexington.craigslist.org/for/1536071763.html

Thanks for the info tickbitty. I'll check it out.

Rob

I thought someone else would chime in on this but nobody did so I wanted to give an attempt to answer your other question. A liner would probably improve the efficiency and safety of the stove, but I guess keep in mind that if you go with a liner that will end up costing you more than the stove itself will in this case. But in all you would end up with a nice setup. THis stove is still what they consider a "smoke dragon" but it is a good stove that can probably still do really nicely and responsibly with dry wood, from what I have read on here and elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.