New here... Need help choosing a pellet insert please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an insert owner, I wish I didn't get an insert.

It sounded good at the time, and wouldn't take up any other space.

and then the power went out for 5 days and I no longer had a fireplace to burn wood.

Consider a free-standing unit. They are easier to clean, usually cheaper, and you don't lose access to your fireplace if you have to.

I have a generator that I can fire up to power our furnace in the event of an outtage (which is likely in our area).. so I'm not too concerned w/ that... and space is at a premium in our house... I wouldn't even bea able to find a place to put it... Our fireplace sits dormant and we have not used it in the 3+ years we've been in the house... which is why I think this makes the most sense for us

I thought the same thing... and then gas lines were 12 miles long at the one station that had power to pump it. generators don't run on air.

riots ensued.... cops where everywhere. it was like Iraq.

luckily it was only in October, and while cold at night, it was not a life/death situation.

if it was, I honestly probably would have went up to the roof and ripped the liner out and pulled the stove. tons of work.

Ok... so I THINK I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Quad classic Bay 1200i.... About $3750 installed for everything....

Unless someone can convince me otherwise?? LOL.....

I appreciate everyone's responses.... thank you!

THE most important part of buying a pellet stove is finding a good dealer.

Pellet stoves are not warranted like an automobile where you can buy at one dealer and go elsewhere for warranty service if your selling dealer sucks... you are stuck getting help from your selling dealer. If that dealer does not provide adequate service, or a bad install, no stove manufacturer will help you. Harman is no different... they could give a rat's a** about your stove problems... they don't even offer on-line or telephone help... they will only refer you back to your selling dealer.

The second most important thing, IMHO, is finding a reliable stove. Most big box store stoves are marginal at best. The exception would be those manufactured by Englander... Summers Heat is an Englander stove. Inexpensive, reliable and their FACTORY parts service is unbeatable. BTW... never buy a stove based on looks unless good looks can heat your house.

Third is price. You can buy a $1000.00 stove or a $5000.00 stove. The inexpensive stove may heat your home every bit as good as the more expensive one. I would never pay $3-$4000 for a pellet stove... way outta my price range AND my midwest sensibilities. I have two St. Croix stoves... both purchased used. The most expensive was $950.00 IIRC... it was seven years old when I got it and it's been in my house keeping us warm going on 8 years now... replaced one ignitor in all those years.

Shop around if you will but chose your dealer carefully...

Hey there. I am new to pellet stove ownership and this site as well but I had to weigh in with some thoughts. First off I just got done installing my harman accentra and I love it! I found a 2012 at a local dealer in the Albany ny area and was able to negotiate it down to $3300 before taxes, etc. I went back and forth between paying the extra $600 for the 52i and I am glad I saved the money! The extra Btus are mainly coming from an increase in max feed rate which I don't plan on running full bore anyway. I do like the concept of the outside heat exchanger for cleaning purposes but the accordion style is tried and true and I can deal with the extra few minutes for the savings !

I did install it myself and it was VERY simple so maybe you can afford the Harman if you find a 2012 and install yourself? After you decide on a stove you will have the fun part of sampling pellets. I have 9 different kinds right now that I am testing and it is a blast! Good luck!

2012 Accentra insert
Currently sampling and would love everyone's input

Last edited:
Scott, which will heat my whole house (1700 sq. ft. Cape) better, the 35i or CB1200i?

The CB1200i produces more usable heat output... Sorry, my name as well :)

Ok... so I THINK I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Quad classic Bay 1200i.... About $3750 installed for everything....

Unless someone can convince me otherwise?? LOL.....

I appreciate everyone's responses.... thank you!

If you're happy with the dealer and their potential service/support... Go for it!

If you would consider installation of the liner system and stove yourself, think about the Englander 25-EPI (or Summers Heat / TimberRidge version). AM FM Energy has the TimberRidge model for a good price with freight included. Plus, Ben's Supercenter in MI has deals on new stock, but shipping is additional

If you're happy with the dealer and their potential service/support... Go for it!

If you would consider installation of the liner system and stove yourself, think about the Englander 25-EPI (or Summers Heat / TimberRidge version). AM FM Energy has the TimberRidge model for a good price with freight included. Plus, Ben's Supercenter in MI has deals on new stock, but shipping is additional

We bought our Harman Accentra Insert at Fireside Designs in West Springfield, MA back in '08. We live in Enfield, CT. That's not too far for you to travel! We love our stove, and this season changed from NEWP to Hamer's and Barefoots. Just my 2 cents! Good Luck!!!

Spend the extra $ and go with a Harman, you will save in the end:cool:

Seems according to what most people have been positing on here, Harman is a very safe bet (one of a small group of recommended pellet stoves). I too was a bit surprised at the price and I also went back and forth between the smaller and now larger Accentra inserts, but I figure if I ever really need the extra btu's, I'll have it on hand. Also very importantly, get 'better' pellets - you'll get more heat, potentially less clean up for you (and clogging for your stove) and you'll just be happier all the way around :)

My stove is on order for the first week in January along with 4 tons of pellets... I'll let you all know of my experience !

Talk to the people at Afterglow in Meriden

I'm not sure where these concerns over the reliability of the Quads is coming from....you other quad burners chime in, but my Castile has been rock solid since I put it in in Jan 2009.....maybe 3 jammed augers with iffy pellets and a couple of no-starts because of fines getting back into the vacuum switch (my bad cleaning technique which I have changed) Keep it clean and you should have no worries with the Quad.
The nay-sayers on Quads IMHO don't know what they are talking about. Quads are good, inexpensive (comparatively) stoves that are simple to operate and simple to troubleshoot. Parts are readily available and support here on the forum is great. As with ALL stoves, you should not consider them if you are not comfortable cleaning them regularly and doing basic troubleshooting. If you are using any stove as a primary heat source, you better be hands-on and not rely on a dealer to keep you warm. Quads are very good stoves but not as sturdy as a stove costing thousands more. It's your choice where you dump your money.

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
This is year 4 with my Quad MVAE. Frankly, years 1 & 2 there were some thermostat and ignitor issues. But Quad got their act together on both with design changes and now things seem very reliable (although I got no warranty breaks). I'm generally happy wiih it, but spent more than I should have knowing what I know now. Contrary to a post above, I haven't considered Quads to be a bargain or lower priced stove, given the price of an MVAE. Doing it again, I'd look hard at a Harman but would also consider another Quad.

And the dealer does make a world of difference. Our initial one was great inside their shop but their install and service people were terrible. I fired them and picked another Quad dealer for service.

I've worked with Harman and Quad. Both have great aspects, and I can't say either one is more or less reliable than the other. Most issues with pellet stoves come from the consumer not taking care of the pellet stove itself. Look at how many out there are happy with Englanders.... as my employer and any Quad or Harman dealer would call them crap, when they are taken care of they work well.

There are no reliability issues with either Quad or Harman, and they are both excellent stoves. My suggestion, get a good ash vacuum, keep them clean, buy good pellets and put them on a SURGE PROTECTOR. Spring time can bring bad power surges all over the world and nothing spells death better to any control board than a bad power surge.

Status
Not open for further replies.