NEW here &&& Need help making a decision..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMRINDA

Oct 7, 2010
Northwest MA
Hello,

I am a pellet NEWBIE so need PLENTY of help.. We have looked at several pellet stoves and having difficulty making an educated decision.. We looked at the Napoleon NPS40 and Summer Heat from Lowes.. We need to heat a 500 sq ft family room with 9 windows 2 exterior doors with insulation.. I can't find a website that tells me what btu to buy.. I would hate to buy a unit that is too small and not putting out enough heat.. So my question is what are your thoughts on the Napolean and Summer heat pellet stoves.. Or better yet if you had $2k to spend which unit would you buy besides those two? Are there Any honest online website to purchase from also?

Many thanks

The NPS40 is a great little stove, more BTU capability than the Englander and a bit more quiet. If you are seeking a freestanding unit, the Napoleon has an ash drawer, whereas the Englander may not...depends on the model.

The Englander will allow for thermostat operation. Napoleon NPS40 will not....but their NPS45 will.

I think the Napoleon is abit more $ than the Englander.

Either one will be more than enough...may be too much for the room alone, these units will do a fair job at heating the entire downstairs.

For under 2k, check out the multi-fuel USSC at TSC ($1699.00) or the Englander Multi-fuel. Very good stoves and can chow through crappy pellets better than the Napoleon's

couldn't be said better that what Scott mentioned.
I was in the venture for a replacement for my englander and really wanted the Enviro M55 but it was out of option$$$.

I bought the napoleon NPS45, tested this unit at a dealer and man it is very quiet. If you decide to go with the Napoleon then you want to go with the NPS45 as it has a digital board, the predecessor NPS40 didn't and you cannot install a tstat.

geek said:
couldn't be said better that what Scott mentioned.
I was in the venture for a replacement for my englander and really wanted the Enviro M55 but it was out of option$$$.

I bought the napoleon NPS45, tested this unit at a dealer and man it is very quiet. If you decide to go with the Napoleon then you want to go with the NPS45 as it has a digital board, the predecessor NPS40 didn't and you cannot install a tstat.

Ahah! so you did get the Napoleon. Good for you. I think these stoves may become contenders. Every bit as quiet as the Enviro Bay units but with a third less the price tag.

yup, couldn't finish the install, hopefully tomorrow, will post pics then.....

I too got to see the Napoleon at a local hearth shop. Lots of nice features on the NPS45 and its very quiet. Very impressive stove.

Just went to Napoleons website. The specs on the NPS45 are very impressive! I like the purge feature and well as the adjustibility of all the fans and feeds. (Just perfect for us pellet stove geeks) How much do they cost?

Chan

This is my 3rd year with the NPS40, and I have been very happy. Some of the pellets i used were not as good as others, but the stove burned them with no problem. I wish the NPS45 was out when I bought as it does have nice extras. It is easy to clean and relatively quiet. It will be more than enough for what you are trying to heat.

With the tax credit still going on, a St. Croix Auburn multi-fuel stove could be an option. With new venting included I think I remember correctly it's running around the $1,900. range. Now this is a stove that will burn Corn, pellets, wheat, barley and dang near anything that will auger. It's 40,000 btu but you do have to manually ignite the unit. For many this is really no big deal. I find that my Auburn will light faster than my autostart unit. It will work off of a thermostat too!!

My 2 cents worth for today.

Winter is Close Folks!!!

AR

smwilliamson said:
j-takeman said:
I too got to see the Napoleon at a local hearth shop. Lots of nice features on the NPS45 and its very quiet. Very impressive stove.

So you must live over by Long Pond? Steve got the sale. yes?

nah.......

smwilliamson said:
j-takeman said:

So you must live over by Long Pond? Steve got the sale. yes?

No Steve is a good ride for me. Wished he was closer! I stopped at a local place. Hacon house. Geek met me there to check it out. They had there unit sold already. Not sure where geek bought his. But it's a sweet little stove for sure. If I were looking at a 45,000 BTU unit. I would definetly consider the Napoleon NPS45!

45,000 BTU is a little campfire for you big boy.

I like Steve's shop. I was thinking about getting a Napoleon for my shop. They will comp me $600 if I have a working display. That's pretty good. I already have the GF55 as a display, These two stove would just compete with each other and I can make more on the GF55. Also, the GF55 gets me into Enviro blower motors for CHEAP :)

I was at TSC and saw the USSC multi. Harvester is it called? I'm curious to run one...you can't beat the price. I like Englanders multi too. What do you think I should bring in for a second stove?...mind you, I'm not really interested in a whole line.

Us Stoves 6041 nad 6041i seem to be a decent unit. The Tank of a furnace they have is a monster. But it has had some issues with auger motors and agitator brakeage.

Englander could be another line up and contains 1 multifueler.

VistaFlame would be a good sister to the regency and will get another multifuel stove in the line up.

I think Napoleon could be a fit for you too! Smaller than the regency but big enough to suite several homes.

One thing you could do is post a thread here with a pole to see whats out there now? Harman will be the number one and number 2 could be a quad? Might get you a little closer to having one of the leaders in your line up? Just like pellets having something for everyone should go far. Gots to be versital these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.