New here, Thank you.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Evans

Nov 1, 2015
Andover MA
Good evening.
I am new to the wood stove world and find myself in need of assistance.

I have been married to the wife for almost 12 years now and together we own her childhood home “old farm land in the Northeast 45 mikes north of Boston” and we have a Circa 1900-1920 Crawford Tropic 112 cylinder stove that I was told is a coal/wood hybrid of sorts, the stove is in my “man cave/loft” and has been for more than 50 years “unused” and I am going to be pressing it back into service after a good cleaning and overhaul of course in an attempt to heat my 25x 37 garage/Hot rod/weapons repair shop. I am not looking for a super heating system but a little heat is always good during the cold Northern winter months and well it will be one hell of a conversational piece for customers as well as a pretty sweet way to pay my respects to the wife’s father and family history over cigars and whiskey..

Anyway I have not been able to find any information on this system Crawford Tropic 112 on the interwebs and I am trying to find out if I can in fact burn wood in this system instead of coal.

Thank you for your time
Hank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings. That's looks like more of a coal stove than a wood stove. Usually a stove like this is a poor wood heater with short burn times. You'll probably find more out about it on the coal forums. Here's a discussion of the stove:
http://nepacrossroads.com/about28881.html
FYI, make sure local code allows the stove in the garage. Many jurisdictions do not, but some will allow it if the stove is on an 18" high platform.

Greetings. That's looks like more of a coal stove than a wood stove. Usually a stove like this is a poor wood heater with short burn times. You'll probably find more out about it on the coal forums. Here's a discussion of the stove:
http://nepacrossroads.com/about28881.html
FYI, make sure local code allows the stove in the garage. Many jurisdictions do not, but some will allow it if the stove is on an 18" high platform.
Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.