New here with Pellet stove issues... Englander 25-PUF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brat13838

Jan 9, 2010
Upstate NY
Hello everyone! I am very new here so please bear with me.

I have a New England pellet stove, it is a 25-Puf, it holds 6 bags. I have tried numerous times to call the company to get my diagnostic numbers. My 3 year old decided to play with the buttons over the summer. I think my problem is my diagnostic numbers, but I am not sure.

My pellets dont completely burn up, they char black and fill my burn pot. to the point of the stove shutting down.
I thought maybe it was just a damp bag or something. After 15 bags later... we are still having the same problem.
I gave a bag to a neighbor to try, whose pellet stove runs like a dream.... they had no problem at all.
The pellets are hardwood pellets and are kept on a covered porch away from all rain/snow/moisture.

I was having other issues 3 years ago and called new england and they told me that my diagnostics were wrong. We went a whole year with the new diagnostic numbers the man gave me.... which created one issue after another for our stove. Then I called again and told them that we had went a year and noting but headaches with these numbers. He said that the guy gave me the wrong numbers, to try these... so we put them ones in. It worked like a dream until our blower motor went. I didnt have the money to fix that, so it sat for a year. We just got the blower motor in December. Put that in, it worked great for a few weeks. and now its just charing the pellets and filling the burn pot.

I dont dare call New England because it takes 4-5 hours on the phone to get through, and they tell me different stories each time I talk to them.

Any suggestions anyone has to offer please let me know!!

Thank you so much!

Sheri

are you talking about the lower three buttons on your stove. or are you talking about somthing differnt

brat13838 said:
Yes the three lower buttons :)

1. What are they set at now?

2. When was the last time that the ENTIRE stove (burn pot, firebox, ash traps, exhaust pipe, etc, etc, were completely cleaned?

BTW, go back & edit your original post, and add the stove Make & model in the title line....you'll get more responses

You have an Englander (Not New England) stove model 25-PUF

When was the last time you did a good cleaning?...Leave blower method?..What is yor chimmney configuration?...

macman said:
brat13838 said:
Yes the three lower buttons :)

1. What are they set at now?

2. When was the last time that the ENTIRE stove (burn pot, firebox, ash traps, exhaust pipe, etc, etc, were completely cleaned?

BTW, go back & edit your original post, and add the stove Make & model in the title line....you'll get more responses

You have an Englander (Not New England) stove model 25-PUF

Thank you for the suggestion on the title... I did that. So thank you!

1.) Right now they are on 4 9 1. I know the last 2 numbers is what England stove co. told us. The first one we cant remember. I know at one point it was 1 9 1, but I think that was when they gave us the numbers for a corn stove which we do not have. So I am not sure where infact they are supose to be.

2.) As far as a thorough cleaning, we have to completely clean out the pellet stove itself once sometimes twice a day. The chimney we do about twice a month just as a precaution. When we suction out the burn pot we do the whole entire stove, the ash traps, the firebox, everywhere ashes or dust could go we suction out.

Smudge88 said:
When was the last time you did a good cleaning?...Leave blower method?..What is yor chimmney configuration?...

We clean out the chimney about every 2 weeks, or twice a month. The stove itself we do once or twice a day.
I am not sure what you mean by leave blower method or chimney configuration. We have silver metal chimney that goes outside with a triangle cap on it that has a vent hole for the smoke that faces down.

(sorry I am not mechanically inclined. haha.)

brat13838 said:
Smudge88 said:

We clean out the chimney about every 2 weeks, or twice a month. The stove itself we do once or twice a day.
I am not sure what you mean by leave blower method or chimney configuration. We have silver metal chimney that goes outside with a triangle cap on it that has a vent hole for the smoke that faces down.

(sorry I am not mechanically inclined. haha.)
Cleaning the exhaust pipe ("chimney") every 2 weeks might be a bit much, as is the twice a day stove cleaning. These stoves should be able to run 3-4 days, or more, without having to open and clean the stove, unless you develop clinkers in the firepot that have to be scraped, or you're burning pellets that develop a LOT of ash, and it has to be removed or swept into the ashpan. I have been running my Englander 24/7 since I did a cleaning last Monday, and have not opened the door yet. There is nothing wrong with being cleaned a lot, yours just seems excessive.

What Smudge was asking as far as your exhaust "configuration" goes, is how does is it designed, what types of elbow are there, how many, and how long are the straight pipes.

Is the pipe straight up through the roof, or up a few feet and out through the wall, or straight out through the wall and then up on the outside, etc. And how long are the pipes?

Oh, and the leaf blower method can be read about here:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29847/

Try the first # at 1 or 2 I have mine at 2 ,7, 1 . What are you running your top buttons at ? I am usually at feed rate 3 or 4 if I get into higher numbers the burn pot will get filled . Never had it shut down though . I assume you made sure your vent is clean ,and no ash under the burn plate . 4 on that first lower button is two high ,it should be 1 or 2 . Having the center one at 9 would not cause that problem . Either pellets are coming to fast ,or not enough air .

Status
Not open for further replies.