New here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Wood

Nov 23, 2012
Flinton Ontario
Hello all, I have been on here for awhile and thought it was time to start posting. I have been retired for a few years so my wife and I sold our house in the city and bought 63 acres of land and plan to build a house and heat with wood.
This past winter I started here and in the boiler room reading every post that I thought would help me (a lot of reading) and have gained vast amounts of knowledge from this form, what a great place.
The land we bought hasn't been used for over 30 years, about 8 acres cleared the rest trees so I want to get a few years ahead with the wood.
Cut the first tree yesterday and will try to post some pics, it was dead and I couldn't tell what kind of wood it is, maybe someone can help identify it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 152
I'm gonna say elm.
Color is like hard maple but the bark reminds me of elm.
Others closer to your area should chime in & be 100% sure.

Looks like you may be burning some pine in the future too ;)
Nice pics
Looks like you were having fun :)

Not sure about the wood. Like the pickaroon.

I'm gonna say elm.
IMG_20130414_154641.jpgIMG_20130414_154728.jpgIMG_20130414_155041.jpg

I was thinking elm also - not 100% sure though - and welcome!

Welcome to the forum Marvin and wood burning! Try posting a pic of that wood split that would help with the ID..

Ray

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes. Here is a couple pics of one split Ray ask for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: raybonz
Welcome to the forum Marvin.

I have to disagree with my friend Ray on this one. It is elm.

Welcome to the forum Marvin.

I have to disagree with my friend Ray on this one. It is elm.
I have only seen American elm it it tears when being split.. What type of elm is this one?

Pizz elm.

Don't think we have that around here..

Attachments

• IMG_20130414_160255.jpg
    IMG_20130414_160255.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 89
I think that is American Elm. The second set of pictures looks unusually yellow, whereas American Elm is usually a more brown color in the hearthwood, but the stringiness of the wood definitely make me think elm. The bark also looks like elm, and dead elms are common due to dutch elm disease and elms yellows disease.

The only other trees near it are pine. Just bought the place last Aug. and went south in end of Oct. I haven't seen much of the property. I hope there is some elm, maybe there will be some morel mushrooms near them this spring. The main trees here are white pine, red pine, jack pine, cedar, oak, trembling aspen,beech,birch, soft maple and chokecherry. That is all i can identify lots of pine.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Are you getting a splitter? Elm is a pain to split by hand. If you plan to stick with splitting by hand, don't get frustrated and quit after this tree as all the rest of the species you mentioned split easier.

Welcome to the forum Marvin - Old Snipe?
The wood looks a bit like hickory, but the limbs from the main tree make it Elm

The only other trees near it are pine. Just bought the place last Aug. and went south in end of Oct. I haven't seen much of the property. I hope there is some elm, maybe there will be some morel mushrooms near them this spring. The main trees here are white pine, red pine, jack pine, cedar, oak, trembling aspen,beech,birch, soft maple and chokecherry. That is all i can identify lots of pine.

That is an excellent mix. Have fun!

Yeah, an old snipe. 64-68 on a destroyer. Had a great time. You?
No boat for me.
I work with a retired BT - 24yrs of blending in with the pipework(from his skill set that's all I can figure anyways)

Status
Not open for further replies.