new here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisup02

Feb 3, 2012
MI
This is off of my phone so it will be short. I'm new here but have been reading for some time now. I'm geting a usstove add 1557 and running it in line with my lp furnace. The class a will go out the basment and up the side of the house. I'm getting 4 cord of "crlist" seasened ash next week that I hope will be ready for next winter. I will then be adding to it. As the summer goes for the next years. I'm sure ill have ? As time goes on but just wanted to check in. Thanks for all the info without it I would not be even thnking of heating with wood.

Welcome to the forum whatisup02.

Yes, welcome. There is no better place to learn as everyone has different experiences because everyone has different conditions to deal with. Good to see you're buying some wood now and using it next year because you never know how seasoned wood is when you buy (unless of course you get a moisture reader but even then you can't be 100% sure like you can when you know it has sat on your property for a year). You will find that a lot of emphases is put on burning dry wood here in hearth.com world and with good reason. Lots of issues can occur when the wood isn't dry. Ash is nice, it should be ready next year even if it's a little green now.

I think ash should be in good shape for next winter, even if it is not seasoned now as advertised. Four cords should be about enough for a year.

Welcome!

I see you're in Michigan so I'd assume that ash you're getting is borer kill. I'd also bet "seasoned" to the seller means the trees were dead when cut. It will still be fine for next winter. This winter, I'm burning ash the I cut, split, and stacked late winter / early spring last year. They were at least half dead when cut and are now burning great. Us Michganders will be burning ash for many, many years to come.

It is borer kill ash and he said hes cuting and spliting it now. I asked him how it was "seasoned" if its still standing and not spilt?? But at $35 a face I didnt care. Plus 30 more to bring it to my house and stack it befor he gets paid.. :) I have learnd about that from reading in here about people getting shorted.

$35 a face isn't bad at all. I usually see $40 to $50 around here.

I have 8 acers of woods my self and 95% of that is ash. so after i get a spliter i will be set for some time. Plus i have 100 more acers of woods that I can get wood from but it has alot of pine and spruce in it.

Welcome
Can tell you know the importance of "dry" wood, the biggest factor for new wood burners to learn. :)
You getting a good wood supply to get it ready for next season.
Sounds as if getting a few years ahead won't be an issue, other than the work. Most here call it fun work, but we don't share that with our wives.
I burn spruce, many burn pine. The key to it is, the same for any wood, it has to be CSS(cut split & stacked) & seasoned a year to be dry & ready to burn.
Good luck.

Wecome.

How much are you heating with that furnace? Insulation, drafts? I'm heating about 1600 sq ft that isn't exactly tight, and average insulation for 1973, out in the wide open. Four cords was about halfway there for me when I was burning in the same furnace. Ask smokinjay, about 1/3 for him. It's a wood sucking monster that can make A LOT of heat. I do miss my 68° basement, but I don't miss getting up in the middle of the night to feed the beast.

On the good side, you could probably burn that ash now, just keep an eye on the chimney. Also nice being able to fit 24"+ splits in it.

whatisup02 said:
This is off of my phone so it will be short. I'm new here but have been reading for some time now. I'm geting a usstove add 1557 and running it in line with my lp furnace. The class a will go out the basment and up the side of the house. I'm getting 4 cord of "crlist" seasened ash next week that I hope will be ready for next winter. I will then be adding to it. As the summer goes for the next years. I'm sure ill have ? As time goes on but just wanted to check in. Thanks for all the info without it I would not be even thnking of heating with wood.

Good that you are getting ash rather than oak! Also great that you can begin cutting your own wood off your own place. One thing you will soon learn on this forum is that a cord of wood is 128 cubic feet and not a stack of wood that is 4' high and 8' long. So I'm betting you bought 4 "face cord" of wood. I would highly doubt that would get you through a winter no matter where you live in MI. We are on the low end as we burn 3 cord per year on average and yes, at present we are burning mainly ash. However, even though our ash trees are all dead, the wood we cut this winter probably will not get burned until the 2019-2020 winter or somewhere around that area. That wood will be ideal!

btw, if you want to save a few dollars, wait on the hydraulic splitter. White ash is one of the easiest woods there are to split by hand and a cheap splitting maul purchased at your local hardware will last for many, many moons. The exercise you get while splitting is also great, especially during the winter time.

Backwoods Savage said:
whatisup02 said:

Good that you are getting ash rather than oak! Also great that you can begin cutting your own wood off your own place. One thing you will soon learn on this forum is that a cord of wood is 128 cubic feet and not a stack of wood that is 4' high and 8' long. So I'm betting you bought 4 "face cord" of wood. I would highly doubt that would get you through a winter no matter where you live in MI. We are on the low end as we burn 3 cord per year on average and yes, at present we are burning mainly ash. However, even though our ash trees are all dead, the wood we cut this winter probably will not get burned until the 2019-2020 winter or somewhere around that area. That wood will be ideal!

btw, if you want to save a few dollars, wait on the hydraulic splitter. White ash is one of the easiest woods there are to split by hand and a cheap splitting maul purchased at your local hardware will last for many, many moons. The exercise you get while splitting is also great,
especially during the winter time.

I'm getting 4 cord or 12 face cords. I have thought about spliting it myself. If when I do get a spliter it will be off of crlist to save some money. Getting it cut and stacked now split by hand when I get time or when I find a deal on a spliter.

The house was built in 2000, its 1700sq ranch with a finshed 1700sq basment. There is 1 bedroom in the baasmnet so having it nice and warm will be nice. The house its self is sealed up nice and no drafts at all that we have found. If I burn 5 cord or even 6 cord a year ill be happy. Paying for LP sucks. My first year will be so so as I learn how to use it. I don't think I will run it when I'm at work maybe not even at night at first. Lol
jeff_t said:
Wecome.

How much are you heating with that furnace? Insulation, drafts? I'm heating about 1600 sq ft that isn't exactly tight, and average insulation for 1973, out in the wide open. Four cords was about halfway there for me when I was burning in the same furnace. Ask smokinjay, about 1/3 for him. It's a wood sucking monster that can make A LOT of heat. I do miss my 68° basement, but I don't miss getting up in the middle of the night to feed the beast.

On the good side, you could probably burn that ash now, just keep an eye on the chimney. Also nice being able to fit 24"+ splits in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.