New Heritage installed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetta

Feb 18, 2011
no. mn.
My oldest son and two friends did the "bull" work...my husband and the new owner of the castine managed to remove and load that but it wasn't an easy task. We are now on the third "break in fire"...manual suggests one, sales staff two so we [husband] thinks three...also says it' s a safe way to learn the stove's tendancies without an uncontrollable burn...s'pose he's right but I'm anx.ious to "heat 'er up"!

I'd do a few break in fires. Cant hurt. Make sure the stove gets back down to room temp in between each one. Enjoy your new stove.

Congrats! I think you just set a record for selling one stove and acquiring another! :) You are wise to do 3 break-in fires. That's what Woodstock recommends for their stone stoves. Did you let the stove cool off between fires and go a lil' hotter with each fire? Consensus is that 1 break-in fire at the beginning of each season is a good idea too. Also, whenever starting with the stove cold, remember that it's not going to get up to temp as quickly as the Castine. . .don't try to rush it with a monster fire in a cold stove. Enjoy, and please continue to come back and share your hearth experience. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.