1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New Hobby.... Archery.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by tbuff, Mar 30, 2013.

1. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    So I traded one of my paintball markers for a compound bow, had it tuned, got a release, new arrows and I am set! Or so I thought.... Forgot a target of some sort and this was all I could find in the junk pile... Sorry Elmo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    smokinj, ScotO, f3cbboy and 4 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    LOLOLOL
    tbuff likes this.
  3. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Thanks for replying Andrew, I was begining to think I offended someone! Lol...
  4. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.

Offend someone??? Naw, the thread would have to be about guns! (Yeah, I know...cheap attempt at humor.)
    It looks like you already bent one arrow. If you have a piece of 2" blueboard insulation (the rigid foam) use that for a backdrop/target. You get pretty long life out of it and the arrows last longer! Good luck and be safe.
    tbuff likes this.
  5. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    The arrows I was shooting at that makeshift target were some old arrows that came with the bow. Good eye Dave, they're pretty bent! I picked up a dozen new arrows last Friday but only shoot them at real targets.
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

What type of Compound? If I may ask. I know some are Die hard Hoyt, Mathews, Bow-Tech, etc...

I have a Compound and think its the only way to Bow hunt. Cross Bows are legal here in Ohio, I stay away.
    tbuff likes this.
  7. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    That is seriously one of the funniest images I have seen on this forum. I wasn't expecting it...loloo
    tbuff likes this.
  8. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Ya got blistahs on ya fingahs yet? If not keep on pluggin Elmo!
    tbuff likes this.
  9. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    no Big Bird lying around ?
    ::-)
    tbuff likes this.
  10. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Cheap target idea; take a big cardboard box and stuff it with old clothes, Elmos and other fabric. You can always add new cardboard parts to the face as you shoot up the box. Easy to remove arrows and a cheap useful idea. I would keep away from those plastic vanes too. Shoot natural fletch, and shorter lengths; 3 inch is nice. Great sport, enjoy it.
    tbuff likes this.
  11. Ncountry

Ncountry Member

Loc:
    northern NY
    Great hobby! I spend a lot of time in the backyard and the local shop shooting my bow. 1 step better than the cardboard box is a grain bag stuffed with clothes and or stuffed animals. lol. The fibers in the sack separate and lasts a lot longer.
    tbuff likes this.
  12. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Nice pattern.
    tbuff likes this.
  13. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    It is a PSE.. Not sure if they're good or not, but I love to shoot it. So far, its cheaper than alot of my other hobbies.
  14. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    It's really a great stress reducer.. quiet and you get to drink some brewskis while shooting and once you start getting off target, you know you've had to many... FYI, I have a few hundred acres of woods behind my house and that is the direction I shoot in:cool:
  15. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I know of a big purple dinosaur.....
  16. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio

Brother Bart???
  17. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    No,no,no...He is not purple...or big.
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

My 1st Bow was a PSE. Its a well known name in Bows.

I still haven't drank the Hoyt Kool Aid.... I shoot an Elite GTO. It holds its own in a room full of other Bows.

As for the cost. Archery can be as cheap or expensive as you make it. My buddy just bought a new Bow Tech and w/ accessories, he has surpassed $1,500. The sights, quivers, stabilizers, arrows, and Broadheads (!!!) are where it adds up quick.

What matters most, is if you enjoy it. Congrats on the purchase. Shoot on :)
    tbuff likes this.
  19. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I agree with it having the ability to be expensive. When I gauge how expensive I think a hobby will be, I dot usually take the initial purchases into account. I usually just use the cost to maintain the hobby. I played paintball quite extensively and was spending 300-400 per game per weekend and that was after I amounted my collection of about 10k worth of markers and equipment. Anyway, sorry for the tangent.

I may be PMing you from time to time Dex to ask for some tips!
  20. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Im no "Pro", but if I can answer any questions, I would be more than happy.

Here is my GTO.

Click to enlarge
    2013-04-01_18-41-50_990.jpg 2013-04-01_18-43-05_613.jpg
  21. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Awesome setup! Mine is much older, around 2000ish... What kind of arrows are they?
  22. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Carbon Express "Mayhem" 250's.

I am looking to buy new this new and different broadheads. I don't need them, but just like everything else, the next Big thing always comes out, after you bought that Next Best Thing :) I'm the guy who always wants the next best thing. Though I.don't NEED it, at all :( Lots of wants. Very little NEEDS... My Wife is hoping for a cure one day ;)

2013-04-01_20-07-38_810.jpg
  23. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    With 4 kids, I've seen enough of that purple dinasoar that I definitely wouldn't mind putting a few arrows through it!!! Lol
  24. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Great arrows! I picked up the Beman ICS Hunter 400s.. They shoot pretty nice or at least I think they so since they're all I shot!

If I really stay inerested, I'll probably end up getting a better setup. If I did that now, my better half would kill me. She says I start new hobby and "buy the outfit" for each.... She's right! Lol. Only live once though.

[​IMG]
    DexterDay likes this.
  25. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Nothing wrong with that set up. I have an Uncle that has a 30 yr old Bear and still rocks the socks off of Whitetails, every year.

That's actually a really nice bow with modern amenities. Kisser (what touches your lip/cheek), and a peep sight are a must for accuracy. IMO.

As for the other half... I know what you mean. She hates my habits. But they could be much, Much worse than the firewood, chainsaw, bow, gun, mower, ATV, weedwacker, lawn, tool, stove addictions I have ;lol