New Hobby

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Well not that new, been tinkering for about 2 years now.

When we built our house we opted to do a fair bit of tiling inside...kitchen, dining room, bathrooms, entryway, hearthpad, kitchen backsplash. I had a bunch of leftover tiles and bits so I decided to get creative and started making clocks out of them. I tinkered with the design here and there and have come up with something that I like. I've been unable to find a really similar design or timepiece on the internet, not in any material. I've gone so far as to sell a few here and there and then hit the motherlode when one of my company's vendors saw one on my desk and asked where I got it...they ordered 10 right on the spot to be used as corporate Christmas gifts.

Recently I've been working on a new design for a much larger wall clock. I finally finished my prototype and it got snapped up by a freind of mine who wanted it in his office and didn't want to wait for me to make another one for him (I have two more like it in production now). This one was a ton of work...the hardest part was when I decided I wanted it to be a bit more 3 dimentional so I mitered each side and then cut individual pieces to fit each facet...let me just tell you now that granite cut to a 22.5 degree angle is a surprisingly sharp object and not to be trifled with. The bob on the pendulum is too small for the body of the clock, but I'm very happy with it otherwise. I opted to use an atomic movement on this one so he doesn't have to risk dropping it when changing it for DST, the desk clocks use less expensive quartz movements.

Well thats about it...just wanted to share my hobby. I'm working on making a small side business out of it if I can. I've been making other thigns too like bookends and even trivets for the kitchen. Who knows where it'll go when I figure out the right market.

Attachments

• Black Granite Clock.JPG
    Black Granite Clock.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG