New Home, Is this a normal chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripmc16

Dec 1, 2015
Columbus, GA
I bought this house this summer. It has two fireplaces, wood and what I thought was gas. In the top of the fire box where you would expect to see a sloping metal into the chimney there is a flat piece of galvanized steel with a round tube coming through that goes into the attic and turns and vents out of the back of the house. My first thought was this was a standard gas fire place just in need of logs. But after having it inspected the inspector was confused. I'm in GA and the best he can figure this is for some type of forced air heater??? His best suggestion was to insulate the top and cap it with a steel plate and install an unvented set of logs. I would much rather have a vented set, and wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what this might be, and if this was maybe added after the house was built in the late 80's. Could this be an addition to the chimney for an insert or stove, that could be removed? Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Obviously the tube is capped with cardboard and tape from the previous owner.
20150926_122223.jpg
20150926_122043.jpg

Can you take a pic of the cap where it vents out the side of your house?
I'd like to see what the inside of that galvanized pipe looks like UNDER the
cardboard blocker, as well. Might be an older B-vent set up.

20151201_190915_resized.jpg
20151201_191128_resized.jpg
20151201_195327_resized-1.jpg

First picture is the view of the vent pipe in the attic, its the one running at 45defrees from left to right.

Second picture is the vent on the roof

Third is up the vent pipe after the cardboard was removed.

Thanks

I'm thinkin that was a DV gas stove set up...Not sure what size unit would fit in there without knowing the dimensions
of the fireplace opening, tho. Is there evidence of a gas line below or outside where this fireplace located?

Yes there is a gas line in the back of the fireplace. You should be able to see it in the first picture coming out of the back. I live in GA, so not sure I would have a need for it as a heat source but I would like to have a set of logs installed and was hoping to put a vented set in. Is that possible, would there be any modification to it? I want the look without a ton of heat that the nonvented would put out.

Thanks

Yeah, I didn't go all the way back to the first pic. I see it.
I was more concerned about what type of venting/chimney you had in there.
You would be best served by having a hearth shop look at it.
There is no way (that I know of) to apply a damper to that system, & DIY
fabrication in situations where you are burning gas (LP or NG) are verboten.
CO is by-product & it will KILL. I don't believe gas logs would be a viable option.
A small DV gas stove - there are a number of manufacturers - would work nicely
& as long as the venting is compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.