New home, looks like they had a gas stove, want a wood stove, feasible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tgeist

Nov 2, 2010
Northwest
Hello everyone... I am looking at a new home and I have some questions about changing the current setup from a free-standing gas stove to a free standing wood stove.

What's currently in place:

*Looks like an 8" pipe going straight up to the top of the existing brick chimney/fireplace. There is a flexible metal inner pipe running up through said 8" pipe.
*Gas line stubb coming up through the floor

What I think needs to happen:

*Remove or disable gas flow to existing stub
*Replace current pipe with one made for a wood stove
-That could mean running the pipe straight up and out the chimney as it is today or having a hole cut and run out the rear of the chimney/fireplace

Can anyone tell me if this is at all feasible or am I looking at a huge, costly project (more than $5k just to setup)? I'm including two pictures of the current setup.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions,
Travis

*BTW - I looked for similar posts, just didn't find exactly what I was looking for. If you have a link to an appropriate post, just lemme know.

Attachments

• 10080024-1.jpg
    10080024-1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 10080024-3.jpg
    10080024-3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 126
anything is feasable....looks like you got a nice place for a hearth mount stove if you are able to convert the chimney to a wood burning purpose....ask a local expert...

@Pyro "all that lovely masonry"s gonna make for serious heatloss to outdoor"

Yep, I know, luckily, it isn't that cold here (Portland, OR)

Thanks for the replies folks. I left a message for a wood stove place yesterday, hoping to get in touch with them tonight to get an idea of what I might be looking at cost-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.