Q&A New Home, Old Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We are building a new home and want to use a wood stove for winter heating. We are building on a slab foundation and want to place the stove in a corner of the kitchen near the center of the house. While beginning the search for a stove, we inherited one our parents were getting rid of. It is an "Ice Breaker", manufactured in Indiana. The only complication is that it was previously used as a fireplace insert, now we are needing to put in an affordable zero clearance fireplace so that we can re-insert it! It requires an opening 281/4" W. x 25" H. x 15" D. What size fireplace do I need and can you recommend the least expensive reliable model.

Answer:

This may not be a legal use of that insert. In addition, I think the project will cost as much or more than a new stove, and give you less - the stove is not up-to-date and clean burning. Only a few fireplace inserts are approved for pre-fab or "zero clearance" fireplaces. I have never heard of this brand, so it is likely that it is not suited for this use.

Status
Not open for further replies.