new home with fireplace: stove vs. insert, plus site questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adahn said:
Here's the 1710 in action.
Time to get a decent woodpile.

Suggestions for the blank space directly above the insert? The wife wants a mantel, which will have to be about 29" above the insert.

Just as a note, the mantel only has to be that high if it's made from wood or other combustible material.... If you make it from stone it can be any height you like as long as it doesn't interfere with the stove operation. I would think a mantle made from a slab of granite or bluestone might look really nice against those bricks (hard to tell from the picture what might work best, but I'm sure there'd be a nice matching stone...)

Gooserider

Adahn,

How is the Morso 1710 working out, I have a fireplace that is small and the 1710 is about the only nice looking insert I can find that will fit.

The jotul wintersport is just 1/4" too wide according to their literatue, I would like to locate one to measure myself, because sometimes they round up a bit.

It would only be used as for astetics and pleasure. When I use the current fireplace all the heat in the house just go's up the chimney.

My house is heated with coal and has gas as a back up.

Let me know what you think, you are the only person on any forum that has one and I will have to special order or drive 2 hours just to see one before I order.

Thanks

BK

This is my first stove, so I don't consider myself an expert. I haven't gotten around to dealing with the surround yet. I've burned a bit less than 1/4 cord so far.

Aesthetically, it's a very nice piece, and seems well built. The viewing area is large and the glass stays fairly clean. It doesn't throw a lot of heat into the room as it lacks a blower.
The firebox is smallish, so fuel must be cut/split to suit.

It sounds like it would fit your needs.

This is the only review I found listed:
https://www.hearth.com/ratings/art.php?id=2201

Adahn,

I found some literature from Morso that say's a convection fan can be added to the 1710 as an option. Still have not found anyone close that has one in stock to look at.

BK

bksaun said:
Adahn,

I found some literature from Morso that say's a convection fan can be added to the 1710 as an option. Still have not found anyone close that has one in stock to look at.

BK

do you have a weblink?

No, its a flyer I picked up at a morso dealer, I can try to scan it and email it to you, if you like. Mentions it in the second paragraph. I have emailed the importer about it but have not heard from them yet.

BK

Adahn said:
bksaun said:
Adahn,

BK

do you have a weblink?

First of all, Adahn, good choice on the Morso 1710. I was going to suggest that as I was reading the thread. I think you made the right move.

Second, The 1710 does not support a blower. It is natural convection only. We have found some typos and misinformation in some of the literature. This may be one of those cases. Morso makes a great stove but they don't proof read very well! I will double-check with them next week when I see them in Atlanta. As afar as I know only the 5660 insert supports fan. No other Morso stove supports a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.