New Horizon / EKO Controller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slowzuki

Minister of Fire
They used to sell it on Ebay but I haven't seen one listed for a long time and it isn't on their website anywhere. I'm wondering about replacing the mess of contactors and relays etc that I have with my Jetstream with something a bit simpler. The newer jetstreams came with a little PLC controller with 5 thermocouple inputs including one high-temp type that could shut off the air supply once it got cool and a few other neat tricks.

Back in my younger days I'd have time to build one myself but I've been away from electronics too long.

Ken

Check with Zenon at New Horizon, Ken. Mine is about the size of small brick and as far as I can tell, it has one surface-mounted probe.

It would be nice to replace that substation you've got mounted on that sheet of plywood with something a little smaller and efficient. Heck, you can probably pay for the controller with what you get for the copper scrap.

I built my own 'add on' controller that sits along side the simple controller that came with the EKO. I use it to manage the heat load on the boiler and manage the recirculator valve. I've got some documentation up on my site, but certainly not enough for a non-techie to build it. At some point, I'll probably use it to replace the EKO controller completely.

For more info, here are links to hardware and software for my homebrew controller. If I ever have time, I'll add the schematics to show how I measure temperatures and control pumps and valves with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.