New house...been waiting to do this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
I've been in my house for about a month now. The previous owner had a burn pile in the woods at the back of the property. From what the neighbor said, that pile's been sitting there for two years. The pile was still big after I pulled out the good stuff to burn inside. I also cut down a rotten alder a couple of weeks ago. It was just a motel for bugs so I dropped it, cut it, and stacked it by the burn pile. I've had the burn pile and punky alder covered just waiting for the weather and my schedule to line up.
When I saw the weather this morning I called my dad and invited him over for some burning and beer.
He's newly retired so it's pretty cool that he's available to come over and do stuff like this on short notice.
I pulled the pile apart so it wasn't so big to start. Just a little newspaper under the maple and it took off.

1010111144.jpg

P9100007.jpg

P9100003.jpg

The retired guy.
P9100010.jpg

I've seen a few deer on my property so far. I need to move my trail camera back where I'm starting a new firewood rack. That's where they've been crossing over from the neighboring property.
P9100020.gif

I told my dad today that I bought the right place if I can burn, see deer, and take a leak all in my own back yard:)

I moved the trail camera over where the deer have been passing between my compost bin and the brush. Got my first picture this morning but it's not what I was looking for.
campic1.jpg

Looks like I need to reset the date and time on the camera too.

Awesome looks like it will take quite some time to burn your way out!

JamiePNW78 said:
Got my first picture this morning but it's not what I was looking for.

At least it wasn't a picture of someone thinking of nicking your trail camera ;-)

SlyFerret said:
Is that last picture of deer tracks? Or the spot where you just took a leak?

-SF
LOL

JamiePNW78 said:
I've been in my house for about a month now. The previous owner had a burn pile in the woods at the back of the property. From what the neighbor said, that pile's been sitting there for two years. The pile was still big after I pulled out the good stuff to burn inside. I also cut down a rotten alder a couple of weeks ago. It was just a motel for bugs so I dropped it, cut it, and stacked it by the burn pile. I've had the burn pile and punky alder covered just waiting for the weather and my schedule to line up.

I've seen a few deer on my property so far. I need to move my trail camera back where I'm starting a new firewood rack. That's where they've been crossing over from the neighboring property.

I told my dad today that I bought the right place if I can burn, see deer, and take a leak all in my own back yard:)

Right! I can even pee in my front yard with no neighbors in sight. It is great to have some solitude at home. As for the deer, we have several and they are always welcome. When we returned from our eastern trip we found deer tracks right to our front porch. They usually stay just a little further out but probably wanted to see if we were at home or not because they hadn't seen anyone for a few days.

Backwoods Savage said:
They usually stay just a little further out but probably wanted to see if we were at home or not because they hadn't seen anyone for a few days.

Nah. They just came to pee in your front yard. :lol:

Probably havin' a stag party.

:lol: Saw lots of tracks today from their partying last night.

I grew up in the country but my highschool and college years were spent in town. A couple years after graduation we decided to make a move. Sold our in-town house and began looking for a country home. I had 3 things I wanted: pee outside, swimming pool, wildlife, and a flag pole. Not to mention out of city limits where burning is allowed.

Your dad looks too young to be retired, is that a 24 oz can of Bush Light in his hand, one of my favorite treats.

seeyal8r said:
...I had 3 things I wanted: pee outside, swimming pool, wildlife, and a flag pole. Not to mention out of city limits where burning is allowed.

I count 5 things. :lol:

oldspark said:
Your dad looks too young to be retired, is that a 24 oz can of Bush Light in his hand, one of my favorite treats.

LOL. 16oz Busch Light. It probably wouldn't be his first choice, but it's what I usually keep at the house.
He just turned 62 yesterday. He spent his birthday cutting a truckload of wood.

JamiePNW78 said:
He just turned 62 yesterday. He spent his birthday cutting a truckload of wood.

Guaranteed way to have a happy birthday ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.