New House Build - previously purchased NZ6000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nvr_enuf

Aug 6, 2023
Slinger, WI
Hello Everyone,
First time poster, new to the forum!

Background - Years ago I installed a Napolean NZ26 into my house and absolutely loved it. I was able to burn from mid October to late march / early April nearly non stop. Pack it full at night, lower the air intake, add wood 8 hrs later (sometimes a little help with the fire dragon - great tool) and I was up and burning again.

I always wanted an NZ6000, one day I came across a used one for sale and decided to purchase. Didn't have a place for it but figured someday I would.

Currently I am building a new house and have designed in the NZ6000 - unit looks to be mfg in 2005.

I have read some forum posts on the NZ6000, seems mixed reviews.
Question:
- Mine NZ6000 does not have a catalyst nor does it have secondary burn tubes
- Mine unit has a crude air adjustment lever center below the doors whereas my NZ26 had 5 specific options for amount of air inlet to unit
- Will this unit be able to be re-lit after 8 hours ?
- Do owners have issues with doors sealing / getting soot to escape unit and stain above fireplace?
- Am I going to regret putting this unit into a new home?
- Are the new NZ6000 have a catalyst / better combustion / better way to retain heat to increase

If someone can give me the real opinion on this unit. I am bouncing back and forth on whether to run with it or to re-look at buying a new unit.
The High country 3000 ECO looks interesting, more like my NZ26
I am not tied to Napolean, any other good fireplace mfgs I would be open to.
Thanks and I look forward to your response

I don't know anything about that specific stove, but stove technology has come a long way since 2005.

We saw very few reports for this model. IIRC correctly it only had a single basic secondary tube and was not very efficient. The other issue was that the doors are very heavy and the hinges sagged under the weight causing door misalignment.
There are better options in new fireplaces. What is the budget and what size FP is desired?

For some visuals check out high efficiency lines of fireplaces by RSF, Valcourt, Pacific Energy, FPX, and Astria (used to be sold by Lennox).

Correct - my unit has a steel plate above the Firebrick, no secondary burn, no firebrick up high.

Thanks - Budget is going to be about $10K - that seems to be the price of the NZ3000 Eco.
The house is set up for the large FP, like the NZ6000 but the room is not cathedral, 10' ceilings. I am thinking the NZ6000 or something with a 4 cubic foot box might be toooo big for that room.

My criteria for a fireplace is:
  • the dancing gas flame (like your signature picture)
  • true 8 to 9 hour burn on low like I had with my NZ26
  • Ability for the glass to self clean when on higher heat output
  • Efficient meaning that after burn just ash
I will look into the other MFG that you mentioned - Thank you

Check out the brands listed. There are some better-priced units out there in the $5-7k range. How large of an area is being heated. It sounds like a 3 cu ft unit may be sufficient.

Thanks - it s big house but as you know the issue is finding a way to distribute the heat thru out the house. I am a bit concerned that the room which the fireplace is in will get super hot simply due to the inability to 'move' the air. I can have large cold air returns in that room to help distribute. Thanks

Can you post a sketch of the floorplan showing the fireplace location, door and passage ways, and approximate room sizes?

Take a look the Fireplace Xtrordinaire 36 or 44 Elite. They have a hammered grille option that is unique and beautiful. This is actually hand hammered by a blacksmith. I saw him doing this on a tour. His biceps are larger than my thighs!

Does anyone have a Hearthstone WFP100? I called around looking to find a 3000H ECO in a show room and one of the dealers is suggesting the WFP100 by Hearthstone. Has secondary tubes but no Catalytic which I feel is a plus. Just curious if anyone has one and what their thoughts are about it. Thanks Scott

Does anyone have a Hearthstone WFP100? I called around looking to find a 3000H ECO in a show room and one of the dealers is suggesting the WFP100 by Hearthstone. Has secondary tubes but no Catalytic which I feel is a plus. Just curious if anyone has one and what their thoughts are about it. Thanks Scott
I have the WFP 75, which is the smaller version. I like it. Nice looking stoves. Seems to be built well. Had an issue with the door not sealing correctly but that has been corrected by the dealer. I have pictures of it and a bit of a review in the Hearthstone Thread over in the "Wood Stoves by Manufacturer" section of the forum (Link to it on the top of the main forum page)

Hello Everyone - seems like as soon as I find a fireplace that i really really like, I find one aspect that turns me off. I like the Xtrodinair 44 Elite but I can't pull air out of it like I did with my Napolean. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but if I can avoid getting a unit with a CAT, I think that would be best. The CAT is one more thing to deal with, I do not think it aides in the look of the fire burning, the job of the CAT is to reduce emissions up the chimney.
- desires: Secondary air tubes (for the look of burning), +8 hour overnight, ability to pull from side or bottom for convection air, no CAT, manly look.

The one I am now considering is the Valcourt Waterloo / Waterloo Arched.

Are these decent units?
Price seems acceptable.
Downside is the tax credit - I do not think the Valcourt qualifies for the $2K credit.

Are there any other non CAT units I should consider?