New house heating question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are in the middle of plans to build a new home, it is a 1000 sq ft two story with a walkout basement. I was wondering if a indoor gasification unit would be able to supply enough heat for infloor heating in basement plus a heat exchange unit in a propane forced air furnace for the rest of the house. We need the propane back up for when we are not home. Could it help out in heating potable hot water too? Can"t find anyone locally here that knows alot about these setups.
thanks in advance

good to know that they are capable of handling that kind of load, with that being said, what size of unit would i need? I have done some research on the froling brand, what others require some looking into? What would I be looking at for initial cost?
Thanks

good to know that they are capable of handling that kind of load, with that being said, what size of unit would i need? I have done some research on the froling brand, what others require some looking into? What would I be looking at for initial cost?
Thanks
Your best bet would be to call a hvac company that sells them so they can determine the proper sizing for the unit. Others on here can probably chime in with good brands.

Reactions: rkusek
Thanks

You would start with a heat load calc on the house. But if that's 1000 sq.ft. total - that's a pretty small house & heatload, given new construction. Gassification boilers start at around the 25kw class at the smallest. Mine is a 40kw class, it heats our 20 year old 2700 sq.ft. two storey plus 1500 sq.ft. unfinished basement just fine burning only 6-8 hours a day. Plus does DHW - but DHW is a pretty small portion of the overall heat load. Storage is highly recommended, and a must with some boilers. You will likely be on your own with this, or at least the boiler part - gassification is an unheard of thing up here, I found. The distribution system part of it, you should be able to get help from some more local heating pros if needed.

Thanks for tips..
The house is 1100 square feet per floor, 2 floors above ground and a full basement under. Total living space would be around 3300 square feet. sounds like i am close to the same size as you maple1. The completed drawings are coming with a heat loss calc, I will start looking at the 40 kw size range. Any models suggested would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again

Any models suggested would be greatly appreciated.

That would likely come down to doing a whole pile of reading on here, seeing who is running what & what they're happy with, and prioritizing features. There are a lot of good ones out there. Is there anything at all available locally or semi-locally? There isn't here, so I just sent a bank draft & had it freighted. Glad I did it when I did, with the exchange rate the way it is now. With enough reading you'll get an idea on + & - on each, and might see some trends.

I do like mine a lot, would do it all again, and would recommend it or a different model of the same brand with no reservations - there's a start for you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.