New House New Set up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
I have a St. Croix Afton Bay and i need some advice on how to install this at me new house. The former owner of this house had a pot belly stove that he burned out of. I am hoping that i can use the hole in the brick chimney and run my exhaust venting out of that hole. What would i have to do in order for that to be accomplished? Is this going to be a problem with my drafting? Would i have to put a sleave in the chimney flu like people with inserts do? i am really concerned about ash build up in the elbow of the exhaust? Also the current hole in the brick is about 6.5 feet higher then where the exit part of my stove is. If someone could help give me some direction on this i would appreciate it.

matt85bears said:
I have a St. Croix Afton Bay and i need some advice on how to install this at me new house. The former owner of this house had a pot belly stove that he burned out of. I am hoping that i can use the hole in the brick chimney and run my exhaust venting out of that hole. What would i have to do in order for that to be accomplished? Is this going to be a problem with my drafting? Would i have to put a sleave in the chimney flu like people with inserts do? i am really concerned about ash build up in the elbow of the exhaust? Also the current hole in the brick is about 6.5 feet higher then where the exit part of my stove is. If someone could help give me some direction on this i would appreciate it.

Run the pellet vent from the back of the stove to an elbow or a tee.
Run vertical to another elbow, into & thru the thimble & at least an inch into the chimney flue.
Insulate between the pellet vent & thimble.
Cover the insulation & thimble with a collar (maybe two depending on the diameter).
Try it like this & if drafting is marginal, you can always install a liner later.

Thanks for you info. I will let you know how it turns out after i do it.

Can i use a wall thimble instead of a masonary connection if i am venting my stove through the chimney? My dealer told me i dont have to line my chiney since it is already tiled. Also what would i use to adhere the thimble to the masonary tile?

matt85bears said:
Can i use a wall thimble instead of a masonary connection if i am venting my stove through the chimney? My dealer told me i dont have to line my chiney since it is already tiled. Also what would i use to adhere the thimble to the masonary tile?

Sometimes even tile lined flues need to have another liner run inside of them. It has to do with drafting and not safety issues.

There are gas tight cements and sealants that are used to seal the thimble to the masonry, RUTLAND makes an extensive line of stove, furnace, and retort products.

Visit their web site and see what is available.

Hello

That's what I did. I just got a chimney adapter and stuck the pellet pipe right in!!

Only used a half tank of oil for DHW since Sept 30th !!!

see below:

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 232
  • PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 212
That stove looks REAL warm. Looks very easy to clean too which is always a bonus!

matt85bears said:
Thanks for you info. I will let you know how it turns out after i do it.

Hi Matt

We hope that means you will post some pics??

Heaterhunter said:
That stove looks REAL warm. Looks very easy to clean too which is always a bonus!

Thanks Heathunter

It is amazing how it can heat the house comfortably. Cleaning is easy. Just 2 times per week and then dumping the ash pan every other month.

The black grill in the front of the hearth is a Thermostatically controlled 900 watt electric kick space heater as a backup but have not needed it yet!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.