NEW HOUSE...new stove...I.D Help, PICTURES

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Put an offer on this house, and it looks like I'm going to get it. It has two fireplaces and a masonry chimney, located in the center of the house. To me, the fireplace and chimney looks brand new. The house is built in 1955, and the fireplace looks much better / newer than that, along with the clay flue, it looks brand new!

This insert is sitting in it, I pulled the face plate and can clearly see a liner. I don't see a liner cap at the top of the chimney, I think it probably goes past the damper with a block off plate. If I get the house, I'll have it looked at and inspected.

I have NO CLUE what kind of stove this is. It has a large blower on the left side, but no where on the stove for it to exit. I notice vents on the masonry wall, is it possible that the blower blows heat out of that? The power is off at the house, so I can't test it and see.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• newstove1.JPG
    newstove1.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 361
  • newstove2.JPG
    newstove2.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 363
  • newstove3.JPG
    newstove3.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 340
  • newstove4.JPG
    newstove4.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 338
  • newstove6.JPG
    newstove6.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 383
  • newstove7.JPG
    newstove7.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 338
I don't have any idea of the brand but I would bet that does not have 18" non-combustible surface from the face of the stove. You might want to check out the local codes on this type of install.

Shari

Never seen an insert like that. Looks pre EPA to me.
I think OR. requires all woodburning inserts & stoves to be EPA approved. The previous owners might have been "grandfathered" in, but you might not be.
IF it's EPA, you're laughing, except you will have to either extend the hearth, or put ceramic tile on the floor beneath the front of the exisiting hearth to meet the 18" non-combustable surface.
Unless the insert can be pushed further back into the masonary fireplace.
If it is not an EPA, better find out if you can burn it first. It might be something to consider when bargaining on the price of the house.

The seller of the property needs to either give you an allowance to have this appliance removed and replaced, or have that done to your satisfaction before you close the deal. You'll need to sign some papers to that effect. Talk it over with your broker/agent. Rick

EDIT: The seller should spring for a cleaning/inspection/report, which may yield some interesting information. You need to spring for a home inspection, to include this appliance, which may yield more information. In any case, whatever that thing is, the installation is questionable by today's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.