Q&A New house, old gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We recently moved into a home which has an unvented gas log fireplace. We used to for a short period of time this last week and the odors were so strong I was concerned so we turned it off. The gas company was here and did a thorough check and found no leaks, however, I am still concerned about the gas smell. It is an older unit by Readybuilt Products. I have the original paperwork but their phone has been discontinued. Can you help us find a solution to the smell. Could it be from lack of use, like a furnace when you first use it in the fall? Thank you.

Answer:

Try http://www.readybuilt.com/

if it is a much older unit, it may not have the technology and safety devices found in the current generation of products. Check with the maker...perhaps you can update the log set.

Link: ReadyBuilt Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.