New house, want an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder85

Oct 16, 2010
nky
I am researching for our new home, and want an insert. I have one now, and use it a lot.

My problem is a lot of the builders install cheap, small fireplaces that are really for looks only. They can burn wood, but aren't really made to. The builders don't seem to know much.

Has anyone death with this? How did it work out?

I think what you want in new construction is either a good quality, EPA zero-clearance fireplace or consider putting in a freestanding stove if the goal is 24/7 heating with wood. The difference between contractor grade zc fireplaces and a good EPA unit is day and night. You will also have the option of ducting the heat from a good unit to another location in the house for more even heating. Some good companies are BIS, Kozy, FPX and some newer units are on the market now from Pacific Energy, Valcourt and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.