New House with a Fisher wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DecDing

Sep 18, 2011
Canada
Hello,

I just purchased a house up here in Canada, and lo-and behold there's an old Fisher wood stove in the basement, with a decently constructed hearth.

I have not used one a wood stove, but plan to do some of my winter heating with it. It looks to be in good condition from the outside, and the WET inspection passed without any required work.

The WET cert says it is a Papa Bear, but it is a double door, and so I am assuming a Grandpa bear based on other pictures I have seen around the web. Wondering why the inspector would have called it a Papa, I am assuming he was using the serial from the back?

I have a tonne of questions but will search before posting them.

My first (which I couldn't find an answer on):

To get this thing into use, it looks like I will need some firebrick (the stuff on the inside is crumbling and isn't even on the base.
What are the chances this refractory brick has asbestos as an additive? The stones look pretty old, and the stove was installed in '85.

Thanks for your answers!

I would say no chance at all. As long as they were they were the original style brick used. Post a picture of the inside of the stove with the ashes cleaned out and it will be easier to tell what you may have. When the brick start coming apart they will crumble as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.