New house with fireplace, is this safe? and the best option for us?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewdude

Aug 23, 2015
SC
House was built in 1999 I am guessing this is an insert? There is a metal chimney through the roof. I have the book for the fireplace. It is a Marco Designer 36"

I cannot see if it is a heat circulating type. I do not think it is. It does not have doors, it has a chain curtain that is pulled closed.

Will this heat my home efficiently? Can I add doors? Can I add something to blow heat around?

Last edited by a moderator:
Or put an insert in it?
I know this will probably start another argument but no unless the maker of the fireplace says you can put an insert in there you cannot.

Fireplaces are great at throwing heat into the room they're in, at the expense of the rest of the house. All that hot air going up the chimney must come from somewhere, and it's usually pulled from every leak in every door and window of the house, the exception being some fireplaces with their own fresh air supply (I had two such as a kid in my parents house).

If your goal is the occasional weekend fire, while sitting in front of the TV, then I'd just use as-is. If the goal is heating your home, then you have come to the right place.

If the goal is heating, one option might be to put a free-standing, rear-vented stove in front of it. We'd need some dimensions and a picture of the current setup if that sounds like a desirable option.

Also keep in mind that there are high-efficiency zero-clearance fireplaces. You may be able to replace the one you have with a high-efficiency one to get great heat output...

Status
Not open for further replies.