New idea for expansion tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
Just bought a 1000 gal propane tank for storage. Haven't decided how to plumb it yet. My boiler is is separate from my other heat systems, so idon't have to tie other boiler in. I use zone valves on various areas inthe house to maintain temp there. The DHW loop is th only one that is opnen all the time. Could I use a 250 gal propane tank mounted above, put say 50 gal water in it and pressurize to 15 pound to maintain the pressure. What do you think? Got to see if I can make this piece of---- Adobe work.

did you ever get a reply on this pressure tank idea?
did you install your 1000 gallon. I just aquired one so I am looking for tips on the install. Including moving the tank around.

did you ever get a reply on this pressure tank idea? did you install your 1000 gallon? I just acquired one so I am looking for tips on the install. Including moving the tank around.

I finished up my 100G propane expansion tank install with 1000G of storage. It sits on floor 1/2" copper runs down to bottom of tank and it works great. In charging mine I put in about 30 gallons of water before I started to heat storage. I ended up taking out at least 30 gallons once I was up to temp 160 /170F because the expansion tank had filled to 70% and I was already over 20 psi and storage temp hadn't maxed out yet. Once I got it balanced it's worked great. For both days !

Rob

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Lower fitting.jpg
    Lower fitting.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 338
I did get my tank in last fall. I used an 80 gallon tank as an expansion tank. I had plumb it to a hole about 10 inches up on the side but I ran out of expansion space as has been mentioned. This fall I replumbed it to the bottom and put drains in bottom and in the hole 10 inches up that way I have some idea of the amount of water in it. When the water hit the 10 inch level, I put in air to make up 5 psi cold. runs about 10 psi when hot. hope this continues to work OK.

On the West coast it is called an air bladder.

My question is would an air bladder defeat the purpose of the oxygen barrier pex?

sgschwend said:
On the West coast it is called an air bladder.

My question is would an air bladder defeat the purpose of the oxygen barrier pex?

Two different animals here...The air bladder will prevent O2 from entering the water through the expansion tank but the pex lines are seperate. I have non-O2 barrier lines that I put in when I had my OWB and I didn't know any better. I've tried to get a real answer to the amount of O2 that will come in through the lines but all I got was "don't do it because you'll get some". I treated my water because I won't be able to change out the lines till next year to protect my system from "some".

Status
Not open for further replies.