New info on SIB website - Pre-Pay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing bulk prices go up or down $20 or $30 doesn't surprise me in the slightest, especially since the profit by the ton is somewhat next to nothing anyway..... Sill do not know why the industry wants to price these things out by the ton....by the bag would make more sense. We don't shop around for Fuel oil by the full tank do we?

They want to sell you a ton, not a bag.

Wood pellets are being priced too high to save on heating.
I got it...you're older...come on... you cannot say that wood pellets are now as expensive as heating oil. Get Oil down below $2.00 and you START to see a savings. Problem being....you have to buy the oil all year so you have to lock in way ahead...so it's a gamble. You can stockpile pellets whenever you see a good deal.

Perhaps Maine softies aren't the good deal right now.

prices are up?

and here I am clarifying my own post....what I meant was the wholesale COST is up, therefore expect an increase in your own cost. I have no insight into SIB's cost/profit structure, but its also entirely feasible they looked at their volume from last year, then looked at their profits for selling and delivering (for free), and said something akin to....this is crazy? We didn't restock the Maine softies this year because they didn't sell all that well last year and had other opportunities in other brands.....

Oil company wants to sell you a full tank too;)

yup, but even if the tank is empty they all take differing amounts....most dealers optimize auto deliveries at 180 gallons, thereby leaving a margin of error....some take less, some take more.....and yes, my house is more comfy with pellets than oil.......

[quote=".and yes, my house is more comfy with pellets than oil.......[/quote]

Can't figure that out, a stove beats central heating. That thermostat that says oil can be turned up.

We didn't restock the Maine softies this year because they didn't sell all that well last year and had other opportunities in other brands.....

They are not a good pellet , too soft, fall apart easily.

Wood pellets are being priced too high to save on heating.

depends on what you are comparing them to. Oil - NO WAY.... Natural Gas - well thats a different story but no Natural Gas in my street.....

Seeing bulk prices go up or down $20 or $30 doesn't surprise me in the slightest, especially since the profit by the ton is somewhat next to nothing anyway..... Sill do not know why the industry wants to price these things out by the ton....by the bag would make more sense. We don't shop around for Fuel oil by the full tank do we?
They went up $49 when ordering one ton. Not $20 or $30.

They are not a good pellet , too soft, fall apart easily.

Didn't fall apart too easily for me and a lot of others here. I liked them a lot. Like I said, the new higher price isn't enough to make me go broke. I like them and enjoy supporting an in-state pellet manufacturer and pellet dealer. I probably will still will buy them. Just noting that the price is much higher this year than last.

Reactions: Lousyweather
I thought the maine softies were ok. Not great but decent. I just don't think I'd be willing to pay more than the 234 a ton I paid last year. I like sib (steve), but I'll spend the extra 25 a ton and buy the vermont's which I know is a great pellet.

I thought the maine softies were ok. Not great but decent. I just don't think I'd be willing to pay more than the 234 a ton I paid last year. I like sib (steve), but I'll spend the extra 25 a ton and buy the vermont's which I know is a great pellet.

They both use the same die cut, same raw materials ~ we just need to get ScotL to press them a bit harder/longer :cool:

Where are you getting Vt's for $284/ton?

Manufacturers don't sell by the bag because they package by the ton. The box stores that do sell bags will often put the per bag price on PO's and want that on their invoices. But their purchasing agents know that they still have to buy them in 1100 bag increments (truckloads). A truckload of oil though will vary in total gallons so it must be billed in smaller units. A truckload of bulk pellets would be the closest comparison. Those are measured to the nearest 0.01 tons (20 pounds) plus or minus the margin of error of the truck scale.

By the bag would be more the retailer level. Just like refineries sell only full loads to oil retailers. I suspect not individual loads either but priced based on hundreds of loads, just like pellet manufacturers do with their retailers. But with oil, the exact amount on each load will vary because it's a liquid and not packaged.

You know what really boggles my mind? I buy propane by the truckload and get a "rack price" of between $1.20 and $1.30 per gallon. But the propane to fill a forklift or BBQ tank is $3.69 per gallon. The difference between wholesale and retail pellet prices isn't even close to that. Close to 0 yeah, but not close to 300%.

[quote=".and yes, my house is more comfy with pellets than oil.......

Can't figure that out, a stove beats central heating. That thermostat that says oil can be turned up.[/quote]

welp, just cuz you cant understand it doesn't mean its not true......

I had no problems with the blend last year. They were a bit more crumbly then some pellets Ive burned. But they burned cleanly and would allow me to do nothing in terms of scrapping the burnpot or anything else. Some pellets that looked good enough to eat would leave residue.

You know what really boggles my mind? I buy propane by the truckload and get a "rack price" of between $1.20 and $1.30 per gallon. But the propane to fill a forklift or BBQ tank is $3.69 per gallon. The difference between wholesale and retail pellet prices isn't even close to that. Close to 0 yeah, but not close to 300%.
I know what you mean. I have propane for my central heating system and we have to rent our tanks....cause if you own them, they have to buried and I live in "wetlands" so they won't let me do it. So every year the propane company calls and harasses me cause I haven't bought any propane in say 2 or 3 years and they are going to come and get my tanks unless I fill up with at least 150 gallons...which isn't a law BTW. So this year I had to call and get some propane and the woman asked what we use for heat since we haven't ordered since 2010...and she quote me a fill up at something like $4.02 a gallon and I said Whoah....no,no you have to sell me at the natural gas price cause my central heating system is gas....we had to go back and forth a few times and get a manager on the phone. In the end I got it for way less...maybe $1.94 or something.

Didn't fall apart too easily for me and a lot of others here. I liked them a lot. Like I said, the new higher price isn't enough to make me go broke. I like them and enjoy supporting an in-state pellet manufacturer and pellet dealer. I probably will still will buy them. Just noting that the price is much higher this year than last.

5 gal bucket of fines with 1 ton 19 bags, Included 1 ton Energex. I do know how many fines they, Energex puts out, have burned tons.
Someone needs to buy them, glad you like them.

5 gal bucket of fines with 1 ton 19 bags, Included 1 ton Energex. I do know how many fines they, Energex puts out, have burned tons.
Are you saying you got 5 gallons of fines in 69 bags of mwp 100% softwood? If so, you must toss each bag on a concrete floor ten times then run over the bag with a vehicle before pouring them into the hopper

Someone needs to buy them, glad you like them.
Many others on here really like them. Actually I can't say that I remember anyone disliking them. Keep up the good work Scotl and mwp!

Softies $54 a ton more than last year, wellllllllllll?????
Prices did not go up $54 from last year the lowest he ever had the softies were $239. I can see where people get all upset when the mistake the price of the hardwood mix that was once $209 a ton.

Prices did not go up $54 from last year the lowest he ever had the softies were $239. I can see where people get all upset when the mistake the price of the hardwood mix that was once $209 a ton.
Not mistaken here.... The price increase depends on your location. For me, $259 (this years price) minus $235 (last years price) plus $25 per delivery equals $49. Whoever stated $54 might be further away from SIB.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-info-on-sib-website-pre-pay.108247/page-2#post-1464723
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-info-on-sib-website-pre-pay.108247/page-2#post-1466639

His low price for the mwp softies last year was $235. That is what he started out at in April/May and then went up to $259 in the fall. Also, the hardwood mix was not $209 last spring/summer. It was $215 and then $224. Also, it was ONCE lower than $209 when he started out.

$259 a ton for 2 ton, $60 for delivery. Last year $235 a ton delivered, 2 ton delivered. $289 - $235 =$54

I know what you mean. I have propane for my central heating system and we have to rent our tanks....cause if you own them, they have to buried and I live in "wetlands" so they won't let me do it. So every year the propane company calls and harasses me cause I haven't bought any propane in say 2 or 3 years and they are going to come and get my tanks unless I fill up with at least 150 gallons...which isn't a law BTW. So this year I had to call and get some propane and the woman asked what we use for heat since we haven't ordered since 2010...and she quote me a fill up at something like $4.02 a gallon and I said Whoah....no,no you have to sell me at the natural gas price cause my central heating system is gas....we had to go back and forth a few times and get a manager on the phone. In the end I got it for way less...maybe $1.94 or something.

Wow. I guess I can't gripe about my $1.72/gallon propane anymore.:eek: Doing the math for my household with boiler vs stove efficiency pellets are still generally cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.