new insert - advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy125

Nov 11, 2014
Connecticut
New house, first stove (Enviro Boston 1700 insert). Previous owners left about a half-cord, when I re-split and checked with moisture meter it was nice 14-15% on the inside. Also got two split cords delivered this fall, which is 22-23% inside moisture. Should I save the wetter stuff for winter 2015-2016 and just use the drier half-cord this year, or would it be OK to mix some of this in 50-50 with the drier stuff? Thanks, this is all new to me and this forum has been great.

Welcome. If you can bring some of the wetter wood inside and dry it out for a week or two in advance you may be able to mix it with the drier wood.

New house, first stove (Enviro Boston 1700 insert). Previous owners left about a half-cord, when I re-split and checked with moisture meter it was nice 14-15% on the inside. Also got two split cords delivered this fall, which is 22-23% inside moisture. Should I save the wetter stuff for winter 2015-2016 and just use the drier half-cord this year, or would it be OK to mix some of this in 50-50 with the drier stuff? Thanks, this is all new to me and this forum has been great.

22% is pretty good especially for just delivered wood. You can probably get that to burn by itself but mixing it in with the dry wood will be better. Or buy a ton of compressed wood logs like Bio-bricks or Envi-blocks and mix it with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.