New Insert and Homeowner's Insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAV1

Feb 11, 2010
Northern, NJ
I just installed my first pellet stove (professionally) by a licensed contractor/quadra fire dealer. Also recieved all appropriate building permits w/ the town, and will close them out w/ final inspection soon.

Question: Do I need to do anything specific with my homeowners insurance?

Thanks..

My insurance co had a questionaire I needed to fill out when the installation was complete. They just want the basic layout of the stove installation. It seems that if the job was permitted and inspected that and the form is enough for them.

All this, by the way, is so they could squeeze another $30 out of my on my policy!

I think all you need to do right now is to contact your company or agent and tell them about the install. They may want a copy of the inspectors OK to have on file. If you don't tell them, and there is a fire, not knowing about the pellet stove will give them a perfect out for not having to pay the claim.

As for the cost, I have heard all the way from no change in premium, to $50-60/yr increase.....Mine was $30/yr.

I just emailed the installation instructions and photo's to my agent. No increase, but that may be because I already have an open hearth fireplace.
Mike -

I used to sell Homeonwer's insurance in VT, haven't in about 3 yrs but still remember quite a bit. It's always a nice courtesy to let your insurance company/agent know when you make a major change in your house, like installing a fireplace, pellet stove etc. Some things that you do will get you a non renewal notice, like getting a pit bull or trampoline-those are hot topics for insurance companies and once they know they don't want to be anywhere near you. Other things like installing a pellet stove are not such a big deal.

If your concern was "do they need to know so I am covered" than the simple answer in most cases is no. Once your insured and you add a pellet stove or wood stove, they won't drop you if you don't tell them. If you have a loss and you didn't tell them you had a woodstove or pellet stove, and one of those was the cause of the loss, they will still cover whatever damages you have but most likely will drop you once the claim is closed. So, it sounds like you did what is best, just let them know. I doubt very much if you will see an increase in premium, even if you didn't have the fireplace prior. Ins companies are more concerned with things like, how far out in the sticks you are and how close is the nearest FD and Fire Hydrant and the ever popular one: what type of dog do you own?

Status
Not open for further replies.