New Insert - Blue Ridge 500i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cdcarter82

Sep 30, 2014
Magnolia, DE
As mentioned in another thread, I had done a considerable amount of research to find the largest insert that I could fit into my fireplace, and had thought I had settled on the Osburn 3500. While preparing my self for the purchase, I accidentally stumbled across its “ugly stepsister” the Blue Ridge 500i. Significantly cheaper, and easier for my wallet to swallow, I made the purchase last Thursday at 3pm. I was surprised by a phone call this morning at about 9:30 by the delivery driver with my package being delivered. Usually the truck company arranges the delivery, but not today!

Still in the crate, and packed really well. Look forward to breaking it out, and giving a thorough review. Hopefully it will fit! It’s massive.

(I’ve measured 3-4 times and should have a 1/2” to spare)

IMG_5726.jpeg

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this stove.

Initial impressions are high! I’ve not seen another SBI stove to compare it to, but it looks very similar in construction to all the photos I’ve seen of the Osburn 3500. I believe this is the c-cast baffle, and it appears to have a secondary baffle inside just under the top plate. Welds look good and the finish is even.

Hope to start the install this weekend.

IMG_5728.jpeg IMG_5729.jpeg IMG_5730.jpeg IMG_5731.jpeg IMG_5732.jpeg IMG_5733.jpeg

I keep going back to the site so I’m just going to post the link.
C-Cast baffle is pricey.

Says base of unit to ceiling is 84” that could be problematic for raised hearths.

Yeah, all of the large 3.5 CF inserts from SBI have the same clearances. Doesn't affect me, I have a flush hearth and 16' ceilings that I am trying to heat, hence the large insert. The c-cast baffle is more expensive, but should hold up better for the long term. The v-baffle in my TN20 is showing some damage after 2 years of use. Cheaper to replace, but not as stout.

Thanks for adding the link.

Reactions: EbS-P