New insert flue size, to line or not to line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbossman73

Jan 8, 2011
West Texas
Hello all, take about a wealth of info, this site is great. Ok just purchased a Earth Stove bv400c. The vent it 8 inches out of the top. The manual says flue size has to be 8 inch diameter which is 50 square inches minimum. It also says the flue collar should be no more than 154 inch square. mine is 10.5 x 15 which is roughly 157.5. I know this is alittle more but is it enough to need to reline? CHimney is in great shape tiled. it is a shorter chimney at about 12 feet. Just dont want to drop 500 bucks if i dont have to. Was thinking of block plating then running some rigid 4 feet past damper. Any advice would be greatly apprectiated.

Wecome!
Lining will give you better draft, and easier chimney cleaning: 1) less crap to clean; 2) no need to move the insert.

With that short of a chimney, draft could be an issue. I would line it for sure. You'll get better draft with an unchanging circular pipe. I'd probably insulate the liner also.

BeGreen said:
With that short of a chimney, draft could be an issue. I would line it for sure. You'll get better draft with an unchanging circular pipe. I'd probably insulate the liner also.

Sounds like the only real threat would be the height of the chimney as BeGreen has pointed out.

If it does prove to be an issue you can extend the chimney with a couple feet of Class A chimney. Simpson/Dura-vent makes a great Duratec kit for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.