New Insert into Pre-fab Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these days I would like to put a woodstove into the pre-fab fireplace in our living room. This room was once a garage that a previous owner converted. The woodstove I have is in the main part of the house, and a lot of heat reaches this room. When it's really cold outside, it would be nice to have an efficient heat source in this room.

My question is, do I need to rip everything out to see what I am dealing with? The model in there now is either a Heatilator NA36AI or NA42AI. I like my current Regency woodstove, so would probably lean towards another for this room, if possible. The room is only 20x20, so I do not need a big stove. From my quick research on here, it looks like some inserts can go into pre-fabs if there are enough clearances...is this correct.

Any help would be appreciated, and if there are any previous threads that provide some info that I missed please share.

Attachments

• fp.jpg
    fp.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 232
It is a point of contention whether you can put an insert into a prefab fireplace. Most fireplace manufacturers don't allow the install of an insert in their units. On the other hand, several insert manufacturers approve their units for that purpose. Ask your local building inspector and your home insurance whether they are ok with that kind of an install and think about whether you want to take on that potential risk. You have some other, less contentious options:

With that large of a hearth you could easily put a rear-vented stove in front of the fireplace and connect it to a liner in your chimney. Critical will be the height of the fireplace opening measured from the hearth.

Remove fireplace including the chase/surround and build a nice hearth for a freestanding stove. The chimney pipe will almost certainly also need to be replaced.

I would prefer to put in an insert, I'm just worried about clearances inside the fireplace. I suppose I won't know until the current one is removed.

What are some current models of rear venting stoves? In case an insert will not be possible.

I appreciate the info.

I would prefer to put in an insert, I'm just worried about clearances inside the fireplace. I suppose I won't know until the current one is removed.

Wait, you cannot remove the fireplace and put an insert in the wall cavity. That would be totally unsafe. You may be able to install an insert that has been approved for prefab fireplaces in the unit you have. It will most likely be a small one but since you are only looking for supplemental heat that may not be an issue in your case.
What are some current models of rear venting stoves?

Jotul and Woodstock stoves, many Hearthstone stoves, some Quadrafire stoves, Morso 3610. As said, the height of your fireplace opening will decide which one will fit as you will need to get the flue under the lintel.

An insert will fit into the existing fireplace. It must fit within the space of the fireplace. A freestanding stove will be rear vented and will sit on the hearth in front of the fireplace. It's flue must clear under the fireplace lintel. Either option will need a full stainless steel liner.

Only if you want to remove everything (surround/chase) for a freestanding stove or you plan on putting an EPA-approved ZC fireplace in the resulting wall cavity instead (e. g. Flame Monaco). The latter will be more expensive and pretty involved for a supplemental heater. A fireplace insert can only go into a preexisting fireplace; usually masonry and some into a prefab unit with the caveats mentioned above. When you pull out what you have you don't have a fireplace anymore.

This thread may help you in envisioning what is behind that Heatilator: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ncy-zc-wood-burning-fireplace-project.114875/

Thank you for all the info. I had no idea a new insert would have to sit in the existing heatilator. My wife would prefer an insert rather than a free-stander sitting out on the hearth. I don't mind one, the tv above is what concerns me with a freestanding stove. And I do not want to spend a fortune for supplemental heat, so the least that would need to be done the better.

so the least that would need to be done the better.
well the absolute least that can be done (and this is assuming that the fireplace manufacturer, Insurance company, insert manufacturer, and inspector all agree it is ok) is putting an insert inside the existing box without modifying that fireplace other than pulling the doors and damper or obstructing the airflow around that box. And then drop a full liner preferably insulated down that old chimney and hooking it to the insert.

Thanks again for the info, and the links to other threads. An insert definitely looks to be the easiest, and that's what my wife would prefer. But if I did a free-standing stove, could I remove everything and build some sort of alcove in there like I've seen others have done on here? Maybe have the back half of the stove inside and the front sitting out on the existing hearth.

If you tear out the zc fireplace figure on a complete rebuild, including hearth. Pay very close attention to the stove's alcove clearance requirements including ceiling height.

is that pre-fab a Martin SC-42? I just put an insert into one. There is a lot of work to do but certainly doable.

Here's how mine turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_4520.JPG
    IMG_4520.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 186

Thanks Mello, I like the alcove installs, but we also like the tv there. I think the consensus will be an insert when the time comes. Although the alcoves are very cool.

Your a busy guy especially with hunting season and the best time of year for fishing coming up, running 2 inserts especially a small one that will fit in that heatilator ZC will keep you or the wife pretty busy keeping it filled, I don't say this much but I would vote converting this one to Gas/Propane.

mines just an insert into existing- pre-fab. but its the reinforcing of the prefab floor that made it challenging.

Reactions: drewberry24
Your a busy guy especially with hunting season and the best time of year for fishing coming up, running 2 inserts especially a small one that will fit in that heatilator ZC will keep you or the wife pretty busy keeping it filled, I don't say this much but I would vote converting this one to Gas/Propane.

Blasphemy! But that's definitely a thought. If we get a small one it wouldn't be run 24/7, mainly in the evenings and when it's really cold.

I know, I don't like to say it either. I just think of having to drag wood and the mess it makes and fire starters and another place for the kids to burn themselves on, all for heat every once in awhile, plus having to baby sit it from a cold start too make sure it doesn't overheat all the time...

It is pretty sad, this year I am actually looking at getting compressed wood bricks, I had termites/ants hit my main supply of wood over the summer and mess it up pretty good, guess I am getting jaded about wood burning.

I think so, I won't know how much I'll be able to save till I get in there and start breaking down the stacks, once everything dries out from the nor'easter.

I have started putting thick black plastic down under my pallets for my new stacks, hoping this won't be an issue again, I had wood touching the ground and it looks like they made their way up the stack.

I have some other wood that was for next year I might just have to get into that this year and burn with bio-bricks or some slab wood. I have already had calls from people that want me to cut up fallen trees from the storm, so I should be able to recoup OK for next year.

How are you doing for wood this year?

I should be good for this year. I have some leftover and when that's gone hopefully what I have will be dry enough. Trying to get a few years ahead and I think I have enough for next winter.

I drove around and didn't see any trees this weekend. You must jave some good intel. Let me know if you need any help!

There's a bunch of pine over at Nutters on Snow Hill Rd. They left some white oak and maple there but that didn't last long.

Reactions: Wood Collector
Once everyone knows you burn wood they will ask you to come cut down trees. I got in with the owner of one of the tree companies and pay by the truckload for trees they cut down, I only do that if I can't find anything else, some people think wood is gold, just have to let them know it isn't.

I am going to try getting some slab wood from that hardware store on rt 50 in Mardela, a friend of mine brought some to Assateague he got last year and it burned good, felt bad burning it for a campfire, it was good wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.