New insert - over fired?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
ebf9e24fa2358eecb6f650b760abf0c8.jpg

Very excited get the insert and insulated liner installed today. Cured the paint as suggested by manual. Have a hot bed of charcoals going, loaded a log dryer than I thought. The damper is all the way down near closing. This looks okay to you or am I over firing the box?

Last edited:
That was a mild panic moment until I turn the air all the way down it finally calm down, now at 1/3 opened, the log is flame is now settling down to a nice control burn. Whew......read more previous posts and ordered an inferno thermometer, will also keep a bucket of cold ash as standby.

A thermometer or two will give you peace of mind. I can't tell if it was considered "overfiring", but maybe it was off gassing faster than you would like. There are lots of stories of guys forgetting to turn down the air or get distracted for a bit and end up with a lively fire.

Reactions: excessads
You do have to be careful about putting too much fuel on a large, hot coal bed. As said above, the new load can start to off-gas too quickly for the stove to dissipate the extra heat so it overheats, even with the air down sometimes. But you'll get the hang of reloading. I doubt if you damaged anything.

You may want to get an infrared thermometer as well, so you can point it around at different points on the stove. Finding a good place to read the temp on an insert can be tricky.

That fire looks fine, once you have a thermo you'll be able to tell where your at but it's supposed to look like that. Mine has looked more vigorous than that for 15 minutes and I'm only up to 400.

Don't keep that ash bucket in the house.. Unless you're damn sure it's all the way cold. Coals will live in an ash pile for days, silently burn and emit CO into the living space

Looks pretty good from the picture. Enjoy the new heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.